Like Tree2Likes

what is minimum deposit to keep saving account active?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

As long as there are transactions the account will stay active. No minimum amount for the transactions even 1 cent will do. If internet banking is available for your accounts you could do the transactions from abroad transfering between your accounts.

my mother in law uses HSBC and she was only depositing money in it every few months and she still got locked out because she was not withdrawing money LOL she had to go with her other daughter to show that she is still alive and kicking and the account is not being used for funny business. it was real face plam issue and my sister in law gave them lots of shit for locking the account when money is being deposited every few months.

Yes, I have most inactive dormant hassle with Hang Seng Bank, Hong Kong Bank next. I even have to change my Hang Seng VISA credit card in person because of getting new account for auto-pay.

I am thinking deposit of HK$200, or $500 in each account every year. Adequate?

I have citibank, HSBC, boc and dbs and ccb all with less than 5k and not been closed for many years. You can just do a transfer wise send of about 50 quid every 6 months into an account and then transfer domestically 100 hkd no fee between your accounts. At the moment there's no interbank charges for some reason, not sure how long it will last.

Just locking one's account is fine. When I came back from the US, I left some money on my Wells Fargo account. After few years I got a mail from the bank saying that if I don't respond and show that I am still alive, the government will expropriate my money based on some "Unclaimed" Property laws.

As Chuckster said, depositing money does not count as a transaction for activity purposes, only a withdrawal counts. I guess the rationale is that any one else can go deposit money into your account but only you can withdraw it and they want to see you being active.

for god's sake walk into the bloody bank and ask them
    each bank has different rules

Quote Originally Posted by dynamco:
    for god's sake walk into the bloody bank and ask them
    each bank has different rules
    yes, very true.
    1. every bank has different rule, and
    2. the rules are changed at their discretion...

my citibank account used to be dormant after 2 years, then they shorten it to 1year, then suddenly six months.

dynamco, how can we walk in the bank when we are not in Hong Kong?

How can we withdraw from passbook saving account from our banks when we are not in Hong Kong.
    How can we perform inter bank transfer between accounts when we are not in Hong Kong.

Obviously, when we arrive Hong Kong, we walk in the banks first thing.

Quote Originally Posted by young707:
    How can we perform inter bank transfer between accounts when we are not in Hong Kong.

Obviously, when we arrive Hong Kong, we walk in the banks first thing.
    internet banking ? i do monthly auto transfer from one account to another just to make sure they are always not-dormant