Like Tree2Likes

How to open account after relocating - when staying in hotel/service apartment?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I was in the same situation and applied for a bank account with Citi without any issues. You should apply for your ID card first, as they will need to see the temporary one for ID purposes. I brought along my contract of employment and evidence of overseas residence, ie bank statement. They opened the account for me without any problems and used the work address as the main address. Then once I got my apartment, i went in with my stamped lease and they updated the system.
    Note: if you are American, then this process might be more difficult.

The trickier part is whether banks accept your 'contract' with the service apartment as a proof of residence..
    I tried it and it didn't work too well, even though i have my company giving me a letter with address and proof of employment..
    Eventually i gave up and used my old bank account without setting a new one.

Regardless of what HKMA says, i don't think the banks are going to offer exception from their long established method of asking for a utility bill address proof. So that habit stayed...

Then again, when i applied for credit card using the same documents, they were approved.. shows that banks are less strict about lending you money than taking your money these days..