Like Tree11Likes

How to get a credit card in Hong Kong (without a local employment contract!)?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How to get a credit card in Hong Kong (without a local employment contract!)?

Hi,

I am posted to Hong Kong for extended business. So I actually got a HKID (not a permanent resident yet as I'm just into my 2nd year here). My employment contract and salary are all based and paid out in Singapore where I'm originally from.

HSBC has rejected my credit card application and I realise unless I throw in a lump sum of cash into the banks here, it seems none of them would consider granting me a cc.

Any advice/similar experience from others?

Thanks in advance!

If you deposit 100-200k HKD should be enough to get you a credit card provided you mention it at account opening. Usually if you do a time deposit or buy one of their insurance plans, they will do anything you ask without the employment proof needed

Yuhikaru likes this.

See this thread: https://geoexpat.com/forum/135/thread347188.html

If you have a regular deposit in a local bank account, you "might" be able to swing an Amex Cathay Card.

HSBC seems to hand them out at the HK$ 200K relationship balance, for an Advance account. Not sure if they do need proof of income / contract in HK though.

Yuhikaru likes this.

Hey, thanks for the advice. I heard about the 200k HKD deposit but wasn't convinced I want to put up this amount of money just to get a cc.

You can put money in a time deposit which is used as collateral for your credit card. Say you want 50k spending limit then you need to put 50k in time deposit.

If you sign up for HSBC Premier in Singapore you should be able to get a HK account (and credit card) without much issue. Not that this is a recommendation for HSBC who are S H I T in HK.

This seems like a feasible idea. Thanks, will give it a shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Master:
    You can put money in a time deposit which is used as collateral for your credit card. Say you want 50k spending limit then you need to put 50k in time deposit.

Yep, HSBC Premier seems to be the way to go if I were in Singapore at the moment. Someone also recommended me to go for Citibank instead back in Singapore as they can even approve my overseas cc application once my Singapore account and cc are up and running. I'm not sure about that and have to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    If you sign up for HSBC Premier in Singapore you should be able to get a HK account (and credit card) without much issue. Not that this is a recommendation for HSBC who are S H I T in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuhikaru:
    Hi,

I am posted to Hong Kong for extended business. So I actually got a HKID (not a permanent resident yet as I'm just into my 2nd year here). My employment contract and salary are all based and paid out in Singapore where I'm originally from.

HSBC has rejected my credit card application and I realize unless I throw in a lump sum of cash into the banks here, it seems none of them would consider granting me a cc.

Any advice/similar experience from others?

Thanks in advance!
    If you have a relationship with OCBC or DBS which you should assuming you are Singaporean...have a chat with them and they can hook you up. Other options are HSBC and Citi but Singaporean friends have had accounts shut down for no reason with these two banks.

I will DM you a link to a <Private> HK based Singaporean only group. You can also check with people in there.
    Yuhikaru likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast