Like Tree2Likes

credit written off - bad score and credit card

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

credit written off - bad score and credit card

Hi I'm seeking some suggestions.

In the past, I had some issues and I didn't pay the HSBC loan for 6 months.

I spoke to them and they understood the case.

I started paying again immediately after I had enough cash availability, but the debt was already written off (I understand their fiscal advantage on this).

It's two years that I'm paying regularly (as always, apart from that 6 months).

Now my credit record is very bad and it looks like I'm late in paying since years (like if I'm carrying over that 6 months break).
    I travel quite extensively for work so I should need a credit card (so far I always took cash with me, as NEAT {prepaid card} already gave me some issues in the past).

Obviously I could open a bank account abroad for this and get a credit card, but still, living in HK it would be more convenient to get it here.

I still have 2 years to finish to pay.

Which procedure should I follow to improve my record?
    Any chance to get a regular card anyway?

Have you tried applying for a normal credit card and been rejected? I would try that first, you are just assuming they won't give you one it sounds like? They may give you one with a low balance. I would also try with other banks in HK, just apply and see what happens.

Absolute worst case scenario you should be able to discuss with HSBC to get a secured credit card, but they would freeze some money in your account for the security, but in this case at least you have a credit card to use and can improve your credit and then later change it to an unsecured card.

Hi Kiz

yes I tried to apply for a card (American express - the previous one was VISA) but they refused due to the record
    Thanks for the advice on the secured HSBC credit Card anyway

A long time ago I had a secured credit card with Standard Chartered (because I didn't really have a regular income at the time), so if you have no luck with HSBC then talk to Standard Chartered. I think you may need to find the right person at HSBC to get them to do a secured credit card, so be persistent, it is definitely possible.

There are prepaid credit cards. I think CSL has one called tap. No idea how it works because I don't use it. I suppose you can top up at 7/11 then use it like a card.

Mate, get a copy of Your credit report and demand the lender to remove record if the loan has been paid off as sooon as you can...

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    There are prepaid credit cards. I think CSL has one called tap. No idea how it works because I don't use it. I suppose you can top up at 7/11 then use it like a card.
    I'm using NEAT (one of those prepaid cards) but already happened few times in Asia and Europe that the card didnt work

Hi there, as I wrote in the post I still have 2 years to finish to pay everything

Thanks again for the advice

Hi! what is a PFL institute? Loan sharks?
    Actually so far I always have been able to pay my monthly installment, apart for that 6 months where I didn't have a job

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast