Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shri

Credit Cards for Kids (<18) - For Emergency Use

Closed Thread

Credit Cards for Kids (<18) - For Emergency Use

Quick question - what would be the best way to get a credit card / debit card (which actually works well globally) for kids?

Say the kid is travelling on their own for camps / to visit friends overseas etc and gets stranded / needs cash.

ATM cards are fine - but getting to an ATM might need cash or credit. As would checking into a hotel / rebooking etc.

Have read plenty of posts on here about some newer cards like NEAT etc not working globally or in a similar manner as a proper credit card (Visa / MC / Amex).

Yes, he has Tap and Go and uses his pocket money to charge it.

BUT - Would rather not have it charged with a larger amount for overseas travel as it does not seem to be easily managable. Also seems like you need to go to a local 7-11 to charge it.

Never mind the line about 7-11 charging. Integrated into FPS.

The kid insisted FPS does not work with T&G.

Will check and figure this out.

Am going to have to check and see if it can be used in EU/UK/US as a regular MC.

Get s separate credit card with very low limit and add him as an authorised user? Given how easy it is to dispute charges in case of fraud etc, I'd much prefer this in emergencies over a prepaid card or such

Yes, thats what I'm thinking.

FYI - A friendly citibanker told me that they allow supplementary cards for kids 16 and older (most banks need > 18). Applied. Lets see if this works.

Paxbritannia likes this.