Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By mrgoodkat
  • 2 Post By chuckster007
  • 1 Post By DimSumBond

Blocking credit card payments to mobile phone company

Closed Thread

Report your card as lost and have the bank cancel it. That's the only way to do it here.

I also tried stopping an auto pay from my credit card in the past through my bank and they said they couldnt do, I would have to go to the service provider to cancel it LOL

cut up your card and report it lost like what mrgoodkat said above.

MrSapSap and MandM! like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Report your card as lost and have the bank cancel it. That's the only way to do it here.
    This is the only way to do it.

To the OP, I can see the value in not being able to cancel the autopay with your credit card company direct - you have entered into an agreement to charge you monthly. You would have to end that agreement with the other party. Otherwise, it just allows the consumer to back out of their obligations.

You can, however, cancel your credit card as mentioned to prevent future charges from being applied to your credit card. However, if you paid for a product in full, such as buying a new mobile and it was HK$10,000 and you now pay for it monthly over 12-24 months, that would not be canceled - you would still be responsible for that since the debt was front charged to you and repayable over a period of time. Any existing balance would be automatically transferred to the new card.

Monthly recurring payments (i.e. autopay to your bills) would be canceled (not allowed to go through) upon you reporting your card lost and requesting a new one. So when I lose a card, I have to go back to the shops to set up the autopay again, kind of a pain in the neck.

Your previous debt on your credit card does NOT disappear - that is still your responsibility. We are just talking about preventing future bills from being charged to your credit card. Then you can work out those bills first with the respective company before making payment.

Last edited by MandM!; 01-02-2019 at 06:04 PM.

Situation is that my mobile phone bill is 12 times higher than usual and I don’t want to pay it until either I understand why it is so high, or the telecoms company corrects the bill if it is in error.
    Roaming charges?? did you forget to turn off DATA ROAMING???

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    Roaming charges?? did you forget to turn off DATA ROAMING???
    Seems he may have sapped a little too much bandwidth.
    chuckster007 likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Same thing happened to my mrs when she went on a shopping trip to BKK a few years ago, when she got the bill and started ranting, i looked at it and started laughing at her, what was a cheap AIRASIA flight ticket she got was no longer a cheap BKK trip LOL

You don't have to be out of the country to roam - though that is typically how it gets expensive.

Roaming charges are a racket - at least inside EU it has been regulated.

Autopay is setup as a Direct Debit, which is initiated by the merchant, so only the merchant can amend it. I suggest writing to your provider and stating that you are disputing the charges.

You can also raise a dispute on the transaction once it shows up on your credit card bill.