Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5
Like Tree30Likes

Sick of HSBC - what alternatives?

In the pantheon of Asian banks I've dealt with, Singaporean ones are right at the very bottom, along with Japanese ones. HK banks also suck compared to UK banks but SG banks are a whole new level of terribleness.

I couldn't get rid of my UOB mortgage and account quickly enough. Then they had the absolute fucking temerity to charge me for their lawyers to wind up my mortgage. Another fucking classic was a percentage fee on an international transfer (no FX involved). That was really nasty.

I've presently got SCB and HSBC (both priority, premier or whatever its called). I don't have an RM for HSBC and never been contacted by one (probably for the better). Like most I came to HK and opened a usual HSBC account , but moved to SCB cause their threshold for priority was quite low at the time. My SCB RM is pretty useless and in general I find SCB just average and HSBC a bit better these days. SCB feels like its stuck in the 1990s, HSBC is a bit better these days.

For both banks I've had a few issues but nothing significant. HSBC's ebanking is significantly better than SCB.

I am however considering Citi Priority (and maybe Citigold) partly because they offer free international transfers. If I do go down that route I question whether I shut down my SCB account (or at least move down a tier, but even with that I would need to maintain some sort of minimum balance).

drumbrake likes this.

Go for Citi or a smaller local bank like Dah Sing.

Standard Chartered

Quote Originally Posted by snjt
    Standard Chartered
    everything from them are intolerably slow: the ATMs, their Apps, etc
    tf19 likes this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5