Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Paypal auto updating credit card details

bdw

Paypal auto updating credit card details

My credit card expired this month and I got a new one in the mail with a 5 year expiry date. For the last few weeks, paypal, netfix, skype, etc have been sending me reminders to update my credit card details. Paypal in particular sent me a few reminders and I'm a lazy motherfucker that doesn't use paypal much so haven't gotten around to updating it yet.

Then suddenly today, BAM! They sent me an email saying "We've taken care of the details so you dont have to" WTF? I logged in and they have my new expiry date already. How did they do this? Do these bastards just guess my card has a 5 year expiry and gave it a shot and hit the jackpot? I don't really appreciate this to be honest.

Name:  paypal 2.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  50.1 KB

Name:  paypal.jpg
Size:  89.1 KB

Dislike. I'm actually not happy with PayPal and happy to find an alternative.

I got this same email about my card ending in 1234 "about to expire", but it actually is still valid until 3/21. Something very fishy is going on...

Quote Originally Posted by bdw
    My credit card expired this month and I got a new one in the mail with a 5 year expiry date. For the last few weeks, paypal, netfix, skype, etc have been sending me reminders to update my credit card details. Paypal in particular sent me a few reminders and I'm a lazy motherfucker that doesn't use paypal much so haven't gotten around to updating it yet.

Then suddenly today, BAM! They sent me an email saying "We've taken care of the details so you dont have to" WTF? I logged in and they have my new expiry date already. How did they do this? Do these bastards just guess my card has a 5 year expiry and gave it a shot and hit the jackpot? I don't really appreciate this to be honest.

Name:  paypal 2.jpg
Size:  50.1 KB

Name:  paypal.jpg
Size:  89.1 KB
    I guess it's useless unless they have the CVV pre-set too? That would be much more of a worry.

How did they do this?
    [edit]
    PDF won't show.

Google "credit card account updater", it's a service provided by Visa and Mastercard to merchants that charges them to update your expiry date automatically.

https://developer.visa.com/capabilities/vau

bdw

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    I guess it's useless unless they have the CVV pre-set too? That would be much more of a worry.
    Your right and I don't think they have the CVV. But I'm still baffled they sent me a few email reminders to update the expiry date, and then all of a sudden they just did it for me as if "fuck this guy doesnt read our emails so we'll just go ahead and do it for him then". Either they want me to update or they don't, but don't keep telling me to do it and then just go ahead and do it for me if I don't!

Your right and I don't think they have the CVV. But I'm still baffled they sent me a few email reminders to update the expiry date, and then all of a sudden they just did it for me as if "fuck this guy doesnt read our emails so we'll just go ahead and do it for him then". Either they want me to update or they don't, but don't keep telling me to do it and then just go ahead and do it for me if I don't!
    They have to pay to get the information (typically $0.3 to $0.5) so it's better for the merchant if you do it. If you don't, and it's worth them spending that small amount to keep your account active, then the merchant can pay to get the update.
    jgl likes this.

bdw

Quote Originally Posted by stickyears
    [edit]
    PDF won't show.

Google "credit card account updater", it's a service provided by Visa and Mastercard to merchants that charges them to update your expiry date automatically.

https://developer.visa.com/capabilities/vau
    Maybe it is all safe and legit. But it's more about the way they did it. Telling me a few times to do it myself first before just going ahead anyway. I probably wouldn't have cared if they just did it.

Maybe it is all safe and legit. But it's more about the way they did it. Telling me a few times to do it myself first before just going ahead anyway. I probably wouldn't have cared if they just did it.
    As I said above, it costs them to do it. Better to nag you to do it (for free) first.
    bdw, shri and chuckster007 like this.

bdw

Quote Originally Posted by stickyears
    As I said above, it costs them to do it. Better to nag you to do it (for free) first.
    I guess this makes sense, although a bit put off by it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast