Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By emx
  • 1 Post By Peaky

HSBC (Business) Credit Card Application

Closed Thread

HSBC (Business) Credit Card Application

Hello Everyone,

Seeking advice on the reasonableness of the banks conditions on proof of address.

The situation is that I have an HSBC Business account that I have been operating for 10 years regularly.

No complaints. Hardly interacted with the Bank for anything, except to request a new security device or reset the pin.

Recently I applied for a Business Credit Card. As part of the application I was asked to provide proof of address, even though I have a Business Account with HSBC and on that basis I am applying for the Business Credit Card.

I played along and provided my HSBC Business Bank statements to HSBC Business Credit Card Dept.

The response received from the Bank is that proof of address cannot be accepted as it is not a residential address. Its a business address.

I've asked to see the terms and conditions from HSBC Business Credit Card to this effect.

I think HSBC are being thick, any advice on how I can escalate this further?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by bak875:
    I think HSBC are being thick, any advice on how I can escalate this further?
    Give them your residential address proof?

The same happens when you apply for a personal credit card and say your bank statements go to your PO box, they still want to see you actually live in HK as such.
    jrkob, shri and bak875 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Give them your residential address proof?

The same happens when you apply for a personal credit card and say your bank statements go to your PO box, they still want to see you actually live in HK as such.
    Thanks.

Currently I don't live in HK. But I can easily change the address from office to a friends home address and re-apply...........but its not worth the hassle.

Currently I don't live in HK.
    So why not give them address proof from where you actually live now?

Do you have personal credit cards?

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    So why not give them address proof from where you actually live now?

Do you have personal credit cards?
    I doubt HSBC will ever accept my address in the UAE as proof of address. And why should they? The company is registered in HK, the Partners are HK residents (currently living abroad) Tax demand Note and Business registration all up to date and submitted to HSBC. I've been using the same business address for 10 years now I want to apply for a Business credit card - "Oh sorry we need a residential address"

I have a personal credit card issued by Citibank and I use the same Business address for them too. They don't have any problem. I even advised them when leaving HK and they said card is still valid and I still use it.

There won't be any issue with a UAE address...

bak875 likes this.

I doubt HSBC will ever accept my address in the UAE as proof of address. And why should they? The company is registered in HK, the Partners are HK residents (currently living abroad) Tax demand Note and Business registration all up to date and submitted to HSBC. I've been using the same business address for 10 years now I want to apply for a Business credit card - "Oh sorry we need a residential address"

I have a personal credit card issued by Citibank and I use the same Business address for them too. They don't have any problem. I even advised them when leaving HK and they said card is still valid and I still use it.

Just try giving them your residential address and see what happens. The HSBC Business credit card not only has the company name, but also the individual cardholder's name, in case there's multiple card holders in a business. I think they want to make sure you have an actual residence, in case they need to send you important mailings.

I have a UK HSBC account with a Hong Kong address. Everything works fine with that account, including the visa card.