Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Febs
  • 4 Post By littlemermaid

WeChat Pay in the mainland - what am I doing wrong?

WeChat Pay in the mainland - what am I doing wrong?

Hi,

Was in the mainland last week and thought I'd try WeChat Pay, given it now supposedly works for HK-based wallets. I only had a nominal amount in my wallet ($10HKD), but had a HK-issued (Citi) Visa card linked to it.

I found consistently, the "vendor scans my QR code" feature wouldn't work (not sure what error it gave, it just never worked), but the "I scan their QR code" feature did - although given my low balance, I could only use it successfully at vendors who accepted credit card payments via WeChat - like restaurants, and not vendors who presumably have opted to take only cash and bank transfer payments via WeChat, like market stalls etc.. (and fair enough).

Given the "vendor scans my QR code" seems to be by far the most popular though, to the extent that some vendors didn't even have their own QR code, it wasn't all that useful. In the end I only ended up managing to use it successfully once.

Any thoughts on what I could be doing wrong, or how I can get the "vendor scans my QR code" feature working? The other way worked fine (if the vendor accepted CC payments via WeChat), although it was a bit of hassle, as I had to go through the Visa SMS verification.

Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Febs.

Ty. likes this.

You have to change to REN men bi wallet when in china

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey
    You have to change to REN men bi wallet when in china
    Not anymore - HK wallets work as of late last year.

It doesn't work anymore, you need to link to china bank card.
    you can still transfer money out, but cannot receive money.

Alipay china is working for me, for now.

Quote Originally Posted by bobobo
    It doesn't work anymore, you need to link to china bank card.
    you can still transfer money out, but cannot receive money.

Alipay china is working for me, for now.
    Sorry, let me clarify more.
    I am not sure about wechat HK, or using credit card payment via wechat HK/China.

I usually get someone cash and they transfer me money to my wechat account.
    that works fine until recently.

Confusing as usual. I just tried to add a card, thinking probably it only works if you have a bank card linked up. Privacy concerns aside, you need to verify your identity much like if you have a china wallet. So still waiting on that. Hopefully it passes and I can link my hsbc account (it does go by FPS) or else you would need a bank account from a China bank (BOC, CITIC, ICBC, and two that are not Dah Sing, or Wing Lung).
    After you link up the bank account you could just top up some money so you can use for small payments in China. Wonder what the exchange rate is though.

Ty.

Your post makes a useful data point!

But it regards to some of your purchase attempts (i.e. the "I scan their QR code" ones), I wonder if someone can clarify if the limitation here was really just the insufficient wallet balance to cover transactions, or if it’s because most vendors didn’t accept credit card payments.

If the former, it can bit a bit useful for some small purchases while visiting the mainland (e.g at carts). In theory, one could just top-up their balance with what they’re willing to spend.

As for your question can’t help you there, but maybe AlipayHK works? They offer some sort of Guangdong-area support for HK wallets, but I've never used it (I’m not in the region).

WeChat Pay HK wallet only works with some vendors (you can find the list in 查看支持商戶). Even so, my experience is that only the branches in Shenzhen of those vendors support WCPHK. I paid a vendor in SZ, it worked. But when I tried to pay the same vendor in Guangzhou, it did not work.

shri, Morrison, Ty. and 1 others like this.

Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ty.
    But it regards to some of your purchase attempts (i.e. the "I scan their QR code" ones), I wonder if someone can clarify if the limitation here was really just the insufficient wallet balance to cover transactions, or if it’s because most vendors didn’t accept credit card payments.
    I don't think its either - one vendor I tried couldn't get it working when they scanned my code ("QuickPay" I think), but when I scanned their code, I had the option to pay by HK credit card and it worked fine.

(Interestingly, the exchange rate was extremely good too - better than rates given by exchange rate websites / apps!)

I'm going to add some balance (HKD) this weekend and try another "QuickPay" payment in China next week, and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by littlemermaid
    WeChat Pay HK wallet only works with some vendors (you can find the list in 查看支持商戶). Even so, my experience is that only the branches in Shenzhen of those vendors support WCPHK. I paid a vendor in SZ, it worked. But when I tried to pay the same vendor in Guangzhou, it did not work.
    Thanks, good point about the list of vendors. Your experience in SZ and GZ just makes this even more confusing!

Cheers,
    Febs.

And this is why the Chinese can implement things quickly. They just use the public as beta test.