Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nivantj

Alipay HK overseas works?

Alipay HK overseas works?

so along with the Wechat pay thread.

I tried using my Alipay HK account earlier this year in Japan at some place that nominally took Alipay. Rejected.
    Had to pull out credit card.

Anyone know if Alipay HK should work at all places overseas that take Alipay?

bdw

AlipayHK only works in Hong Kong and the 'Greater Bay Area'. You need to use Alipay if you want to use it in Japan.

Can a HKer sign up for the normal Alipay? I only have HK credit cards and bank accounts. No mainland ones

bdw

Quote Originally Posted by chichow
    Can a HKer sign up for the normal Alipay? I only have HK credit cards and bank accounts. No mainland ones
    I think you can. But you won't get all the HK promotions if you use Alipay rather than AlipayHK in HK. For example, I scanned some blue QR code on a store shelf the other day and got a $5 coupon, then I went to carousell and clicked on a referral link and got another $2 coupon, then I went to McDonalds and scored a Mcflurry for only $6 ($7 off the normal price using the 2 coupons). Awesome! Every day I usually get about $2-$7 off my purchases just walking around scanning little blue QR codes with my phone

Can I have both apps running separately on my phone? Vs one or the other?

You can sign up for Alipay and use it in China, but you cannot use it in other countries because that privilege is only limited to those with Chinese ID cards. Same goes with Wechat pay if you are wondering.

Every day I usually get about $2-$7 off my purchases just walking around scanning little blue QR codes with my phone
    Only you can generate cash while playing your own version of 'Pokemon Go'..Should consider developing FinTech Super app aggregating all sorts of benefits across all apps and platforms..
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by p800hkg
    You can sign up for Alipay and use it in China, but you cannot use it in other countries because that privilege is only limited to those with Chinese ID cards. Same goes with Wechat pay if you are wondering.
    so does this mean with a Alipay hk account and might as well ask with a wechat hk account

i can use hk credit cards as the funding connection and use these two apps specifically if I am on the mainland

Ty.

Has anyone tried using AlipayHK within the "Greater Bay Area" (i.e. Guangdong)?