Like Tree16Likes

A better credit card than the Chase Sapphire Reserve in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    II have no idea about this Chase card, but I would be sceptical about no fees, usually there are a bunch of fees from both bank and Visa and if one is waived doesn't mean there aren't others.

Also if your income in HKD, do you have another source of income in USD? If not, you are sending HKD back to USD every month to pay your credit card? If so then you are hit with another set of fees here on the payment side.
    Only thing you have to pay is the USD 450 annual card fee. You get $300 every year reimbursed directly for all travel related spends (taxis, uber, flights, hotels etc.) so the actual credit card cost is $150. Then you get unlimited PP access, 4.5% back on all your travel and food & beverage spends which more than make up for the $150 as this is about the amount of points I generate each month. It also includes a wide variety ot travel and car rental insurances etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoadAhead:
    Only thing you have to pay is the USD 450 annual card fee. You get $300 every year reimbursed directly for all travel related spends (taxis, uber, flights, hotels etc.) so the actual credit card cost is $150. Then you get unlimited PP access, 4.5% back on all your travel and food & beverage spends which more than make up for the $150 as this is about the amount of points I generate each month. It also includes a wide variety ot travel and car rental insurances etc.
    But you need to have some sort of ability to apply for a US based credit card, which is going to rule out the majority of people.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I'm looking for a credit card which gives access to airport lounges (either Priority Pass or Dragon Pass) and is free (or cheap, or with a fee easily waived etc). I've tried seaching but not found anything obvious.

I used to get this with my Cathay Amex, but since they stopped it I'm looking for an alternative..... (one with a limited number of visits per year is fine, its just for those times I fly Flybe or other cheap airlines for some legs)
    I did the math and it's cheaper to join Priority Pass directly than to get any of the HK-based cards that offers PP as a benefit, because their annual fees cannot be waived.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoadAhead:
    Do you have a US credit score or bank account? The Chase Sapphire Reserve provides all of that (unlimited Priority Pass access, no FX fees and the market rate is very often spot on with current markets, 4.5% on F&B and Travel spends, 1.5% on everything else, travel insurances that provide you with 300 USD a day for hotel and food if a flight outside of your home city is delayed by 6 hours etc etc)
    No. Is that a free card?

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    No. Is that a free card?
    It's USD 450 per year.

PP Prestige Plan which provides unlimited lounge visits is USD 429 per year. If you only need 10 visits per year it's USD 299 per year.

Given how Cathay Amex withdrew the benefit I'd rather just join PP directly.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    It's USD 450 per year.

PP Prestige Plan which provides unlimited lounge visits is USD 429 per year. If you only need 10 visits per year it's USD 299 per year.

Given how Cathay Amex withdrew the benefit I'd rather just join PP directly.
    In all honesty the PP lounges are normally not worth it. They are nice if they are available, but I wouldn't be paying money for them (either via PP, a CC or directly to the lounge). But each to their own.
    Kowloon Goon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    In all honesty the PP lounges are normally not worth it. They are nice if they are available, but I wouldn't be paying money for them (either via PP, a CC or directly to the lounge). But each to their own.
    I don't travel enough on my own for it to make sense and they charge for children, so I'm not going to be signing up either. But I appreciated having it as part of Cathay Amex. I searched to find any other card with a waivable annual fee and PP but they don't seem to exist anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    I don't travel enough on my own for it to make sense and they charge for children, so I'm not going to be signing up either. But I appreciated having it as part of Cathay Amex. I searched to find any other card with a waivable annual fee and PP but they don't seem to exist anymore.
    I think you have to get it either via a Premier banking service or pay for a CC. Citi Prestige when it was HKD2.5k a year was good value, even without the PP.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    I think it's only 8 now. But anyway not a good choice because it's not a card you can get on their side, you have to make SC your main bank bank and get all the priority shit.
    Yes, only 8 visits and only if you spend over $150k on the card per year. You can close the priority account again after you got the credit card, you only need it to get approved. BOC Visa Infinite has 10 PP visits if you spend over $180k.
    Citi Bank Ultima card still has unlimited PP for the primary card holder.
    Last edited by mrgoodkat; 04-06-2019 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Yes, only 8 visits and only if you spend over $150k on the card per year.
    The $150k per year spending requirement is if you have the Visa Infinite card without the priority banking account. If you have the priority banking, then you just need to meet the minimum relationship balance requirement for priority banking. No need to spend $150k.

They are still sneaky bastards though because some people might inadvertently use it more than 8 times per year, or one month fall below the minimum banking requirements and then these $210 charges are going to appear on their accounts.
    mrgoodkat and shri like this.