Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5
Like Tree79Likes

OK everyone let's feel sorry for the bankers

Quote Originally Posted by nivantj
    This thread reminds me of post-GFC bailout time when few top bankers were getting away with fat bonuses and whole world was sort of against banking community, Geo was no different, few hundred threads divided into bankers vs non-bankers..
    Only difference is this time its probably before GGFC..
    This post reminds me of people accusing Carrie Lam of not listening..
    nivantj likes this.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by juanalias
    And if not wankers (I know none, so can't comment) they are at least middle men providing no value to the consumer. Easy to dislike someone in the role.
    With respect, the suggestion that bankers provide no value to the consumer is ridiculous. Banks provide a wide range of necessary and useful functions which just about everyone benefits from.

That there are bankers who have done a considerable amount of damage is also indisputable but does not detract from the value add which banks provide. Have a read of Bernstein's The Birth of Plenty or Ferguson's The Ascent of Money for clear explanations of how important the banking system is to the economy.

As to the individual bankers, I know/have known many both personally and professionally. A few became friends. Many I would consider hard working, smart and have no reason to suspect were anything less than honest. However, the prospect of never again having to deal with a number of others provided considerable motivation to retire early.

And let's not forget that compared to the average politician, bankers are pillars of moral rectitude.

I have sympathy if he is tied into a rental contract (12 plus 2 etc) but if not then he must have had a decent enough pay off to continue to afford the rent.Normal people would have downsized long before.

I’d give myself 6 months max to get a job before reassessing my outgoings.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor
    Have a read of Bernstein's The Birth of Plenty or Ferguson's The Ascent of Money for clear explanations of how important the banking system is to the economy.
    No.

You win.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5