Where brokers keep our stocks?

Closed Thread

Where brokers keep our stocks?

I light of recent events and since I am by nature a bit of a paranoid, I was wondering what will happen in the worst-case-scenario where Chinese impact full control over HK.

Currently I hold foreign stocks (mainly US) in local banks/brokers - including HSBC, CIti and IBKR.
    If local Chinese laws will be enforced on HK, including capital control, will I be able to move these stocks outside of HK?
    Does IBKR hold the stocks here or in the US (and only the bookkeeping is local)?

Thanks!

Once you have found answer to your question I recommend you the following book

https://www.amazon.com/Club-No-One-W.../dp/1537106929

I think you're looking at this in the wrong way from many different angles.

- At the highest level, if the worst case scenario happens, your stocks might be worth nothing. So, no point worrying about that scenario. We're talking about a completely broken down law and order situation here. Watch the a zombie movie then a purge movie and finally hunger games and see if anyone in those movies was concerned about where their investments were being held.

- Remember that most money flows back to the house of "In god we trust" so....

At a regulatory level, worth looking at the individual brokerages and banks and seeing where your account / sub-account is. While opening an account with entity A, you might have filled up a few forms and might have actually opened multiple accounts in HK, UK, US etc.

The easy answer would be Broker A holds stocks Custodian B in country Z. But the real answer is in the forms that you signed and the fine print.

The more difficult answer - ask your broker or bank a few questions - who is the custodian for my stocks, where are they held, are they in individual accounts at the custodian or are they in a common name account (assigned to the broker).