Like Tree54Likes

Pay rent via credit card

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Pay rent via credit card

Good day,

I'm wondering if anyone is using/has ever used a service called "rentsmart" to pay rent?

I'm a bit skeptical about these services.. and it does sound too good to be true: pay via unionpay credit card and 0% handling fee (with the right card, that translates to 1.5% rebate).

In comparison, there are other services such as "keychainpay" (2.1% fee with HSBC cards), but this might require more effort to profit.

Seems to be a CCB affiliated programme using one of their credit cards? I doubt they would attach their name to a scam.

After you pay by rent by credit card, the funds are deposited to landlord account after 5 working days. Does landlord have to agree and are they charged a fee? Or they don't have to know (you transfer 5 days early) and no fees are deducted?

BSherin likes this.

As per website's FAQ, we don’t have to bother landlord or seek approval. It does mention that the landlord will receive rent by ACH transfer.. so perhaps inward fee by the bank?

The mileage aspect of it makes it seem appealing but as someone pointed out unlikely a landlord would be receptive to the fee unless you reimburse them.

traineeinvestor likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    The mileage aspect of it makes it seem appealing but as someone pointed out unlikely a landlord would be receptive to the fee unless you reimburse them.
    This tiny insignificant landlord would not accept any arrangement which leaves me short changed.
    eryhur likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor:
    This tiny insignificant landlord would not accept any arrangement which leaves me short changed.
    You could always do what the electrical shops that sell mobile phones etc do, they add 2-3% surcharge if the buyer or in your case renter uses credit card to pay so you will not be short changed

https://www.rentsmart.com.hk/eng/payrent/

By using RentSmart, tenants can now pay with their credit cards, making it more convenient, flexible and rewarding at the same time. A happy paying tenant makes a happy landlord!

After the tenant makes a payment, the funds will be automatically deposited into the landlord’s account within 5 working days, a SMS notification will also be sent to the landlord upon successful deposit of funds.

RentSmart will not charge the landlord for this service. Rest assured that the amount paid by the tenant will be the amount deposited to the landlord. RentSmart also provides innovative rental management services to landlords in Hong Kong, click here to find out more.
    chuckster007 likes this.

Looks like an innovative way for Mainland residents to get around the capital restrictions since they don't apply to UnionPay charges.

Whats the biz model here? Renter pays and in 5 days landlord gets the dough. Playing off float it seems. Also I would not use it as you don't know how secure their servers are. If they are hacked your credit card infor is gone.

JAherbert likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast