HKD/AUD and cash savings

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Apparently, according to the guy in HSBC I was talking to, that's exactly WHY the USD is going up - because of all this money that was invested around the world is now being pulled out and send back home to the US to try and pay for the stuff-ups - at least I think that was the gist of it. Didn't really understand it myself so probably have not explained properly!

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    Apparently, according to the guy in HSBC I was talking to, that's exactly WHY the USD is going up - because of all this money that was invested around the world is now being pulled out and send back home to the US to try and pay for the stuff-ups - at least I think that was the gist of it. Didn't really understand it myself so probably have not explained properly!
    He probably means the repatriation of money. That's exactly the main drive of the USD right now. And it shows. On a bad day at the stock market, you see it go up. When the stocks do a bit better, you can see the dollar go down. It's jojo time for the USD

I thought the USD was kicking arse because they were artificially inflating its value by not printing any more currency with the added benefit of the money deemed lost by those financial institutions being no longer in circulation and therefore raises the value of everyone elses dollar which is in existence. which is kindof a lie since the dollars value in the first place hasnt been properly checked against the new economy.

But even with a healthy economy the poor aud keeps dropping.
    reserve bank of australia announced a 1% interest rate drop again today.

I feel like a fool sending a largish chunk of income back to AUD earlier than I should have. but i feel even worse for frequent travelling aussie mates who have effectively had their paychecks cut by such a huge amount

Last edited by AndyFitz; 02-12-2008 at 09:06 PM.

alot of USD needs recently are more like putting up collaterals or settlement of transactions..

USD is still the most widely used currency. and when risk aversion kicks in everyone wants to hog USD ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2