Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By bdw
  • 1 Post By freeier

HSBC Personal Integrated Account - Does it accept foreign currencies?

Closed Thread

HSBC Personal Integrated Account - Does it accept foreign currencies?

Hi,

I have a HSBC personal integrated account in Hong Kong. Currently, it's just HKD Savings. My question is...does it support multi-currency if I try to transfer another currency into it?

Thanks.

Seems like it is a multi currency acct.

Name:  Screenshot_20190906-061046.png
Views: 879
Size:  227.7 KB

Yuhikaru likes this.

Thanks a lot! It does seem so.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Seems like it is a multi currency acct.

ask before you transfer the money in...

for some other banks they require you to tick which currency you want in your multi-currency account, and create one each for your different currencies..

not sure what hsbc does, but technically if they don't have an automatic currency 'opening' feature they might just convert the money into HKD at THEIR rate and end up you lose... or they might send the money back and you have to start hunting for where it has gone to.

Yuhikaru likes this.

@freeier - spot on about "Asking".

With HSBC the currencies share the same account number and inward transfers go into the right basket. But again - worth asking and making sure you're doing the right thing.

(I have had that account for ages - smartvantage something or the other and it used to work that way. that acct was closed a year or so ago)

I used to have the same thing with citi singapore.. and for that account i had to specify which currencies i want to create the sub-account with (same acct number)...

generally i don't like these uncertainties in life to ruin my afternoon teas... always good to walk a few steps to the branch and speak to the bored HSBC bankers (whichever gender you prefer) ... just pick the 'open new account' option and usually they are quite free

Even if you ask, there is a high probability of running into a clueless dick giving you incorrect information and still spoiling your afternoon teas. So better to save time and dont bother asking and live and learn

shri likes this.