Like Tree9Likes

ios13 upgrade locked my bank accounts

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

@bdw, not accessing my accounts would make me extremely grumpy !
    I had made the mistake to attempt to "enhance my experience" with the HSBC authentication app when it went out, which I found out the hard way couldn't update from overseas (at least back then). And no update, no access to accounts as the updates are pushed rather than pulled.
    I was travelling back home for a month and couldn't afford to wait.
    I called my RM in HK, she reverted me to the old security dongle which she overnight DHLed at my place. The following morning I had regained access to my accounts.
    I still use these dongles, I feel they are less prone to failing than mobile apps. For one thing, they don't update. You're a super tech guy so I appreciate you prefer newer technologies .

Last edited by jrkob; 21-09-2019 at 09:43 AM.
    bdw likes this.

bdw

Problem solved now! SC just updated app to version 5.7.18 and works again

Yes Im extremetly grumpy but luckily is a weekend and I'm not in the middle of trying to do something important. But I am quite stunned that an apple update woud kill my bank access like this. Actually people have been complaining for a while that the app doesnt work with ios13 Beta and SC do nothing about it. Only when the final release gets pushed out and people get inconvenienced they get off their arse and do something.

jrkob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    I wonder how much RSA licensing costs. Surely that's more reliable and more secure than every half assed retail bank trying to implement their own 2FA.
    While I agree regarding compatibility/reliability, I wouldn't trust it as secure, I believe Snowden mentioned them being backdoored, and when a backdoor exist, more agents than the intended one can access it. Not saying the banks implementations are in any way safe, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by timonoj
    While I agree regarding compatibility/reliability, I wouldn't trust it as secure, I believe Snowden mentioned them being backdoored, and when a backdoor exist, more agents than the intended one can access it. Not saying the banks implementations are in any way safe, but still.
    There have been widely publicised issues with RSA. There are issues with practically all systems, it's part and parcel of computing. There's the saying that the only computer that's secure is the one that's turned off, in a safe, encased in concrete and dumped into the ocean.

Still, I'd trust something like a standalone RSA app over any integrated 'do it all banking' app that a bank would commission. I'm guessing they'd use something cheap and third party and integrate it anyway.

Hell, people (including myself) rely on SMS for 2FA. Which I have to admit is insanely insecure. It's just that personally I have so little faith in someone like scb to get it right that I haven't moved off sms. Also, I don't even trust my phone, so try to keep financial apps off it.
    timonoj likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2