Like Tree85Likes

Another HSBC Rant

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Basically I just try to get into the door with the account being opened and then do subsequent stuff

the way I read your post was: BDW wants to establish a family relationship with HSBC here in HK and in AUS at a premiere level.

what I was not clear on my post was: being explicit in saying Keep it Simple (KISS) with the muppets and I find generally that the central call in staff is more experience than small branch front line staff.

in my post I did say that I declined to open up an account for me at the same time in China.

#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#

so for you

you go and open up your HSBC HK account
    your wife go and open up her HK account.
    once open you fund the accounts with 1M t
    hen at that point just work over the phone to upgrade to premiere
    then once premier go and have them open up the AUS account. etc,

@traineeinvestor I thought DBS' online access is pretty good and I am loving their new mobile banking app.

What's the deficiencies you have come across?

Quote Originally Posted by bdw
    Just for background, I have some AUD investments in HK now paying me small AUD dividends every month. I want to send AUD to AUD in my Australian bank account. I use instarem to transfer HKD to AUD which is great, but it cannot do AUD to AUD. So my end goal is to get this global view function from HSBC to make small AUD transfers and get the funds into my local Aus bank account without so many TT fees etc. Putting in my wifes name just another tactic for family tax/estate purposes as TheBrit pointed out. But I would just do everything with Standard Chartered if they had something like the global view function.
    Global View and Global Transfer @ HSBC is overrated in my opinion...that said, is Global Transfer from AUD to AUD free of cost with HSBC?

One option you may want to consider - check if they have a Multi-Currency Debit Card issued in Hong Kong for your customer level and then you can spend your dividend of HSBC HK AUD account when you go home.

https://www.hsbc.com.hk/jade/twelve-...cy-debit-card/

I tried to look but the HSBC HK website doesn't seem to have a search function
    bdw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rkenia852
    Global View and Global Transfer @ HSBC is overrated in my opinion...
    In what sense ?

Quote Originally Posted by rkenia852
    @traineeinvestor I thought DBS' online access is pretty good and I am loving their new mobile banking app.

What's the deficiencies you have come across?
    Could not ever (i.e. not once) actually log on. I kept getting the message "The system is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later." over and over and over again ... for weeks. The hapless helpless desk insisted I was was entering my password and/or login name incorrectly but even when they conceded I wasn't quite that clueless and agreed that the system would have said my login name/password was incorrect instead of the system being unavailable they had no idea how to fix the problem.

This went on for weeks, during which I went into the brach and applied for a new login name and password with the same result and the same inability of DBS to solve the problem.

DBS is the only financial institution in ay country I have had any kind of problem with internet access.

Looking forward to the day when my last DBS mortgage is paid off and I can close the account.

After using HSBC for many years and tolerating their "customer service", I have given up and moved over to Citibank. The local staff at Citi are more helpful, in my experience, have better English. For OP's purposes I am not sure how useful Citibank would be, but I can see how frustrating it would have been trying to explain the Australian tax system to HSBC.

I feel that banks nowadays follow a cookie cutter approach and don't handle well for things that are slightly outside the norm.

Paxbritannia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor
    Could not ever (i.e. not once) actually log on. I kept getting the message "The system is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later." over and over and over again ... for weeks. The hapless helpless desk insisted I was was entering my password and/or login name incorrectly but even when they conceded I wasn't quite that clueless and agreed that the system would have said my login name/password was incorrect instead of the system being unavailable they had no idea how to fix the problem.

This went on for weeks, during which I went into the brach and applied for a new login name and password with the same result and the same inability of DBS to solve the problem.

DBS is the only financial institution in ay country I have had any kind of problem with internet access.

Looking forward to the day when my last DBS mortgage is paid off and I can close the account.
    Could it have been a cookie/VPN/ISP problem? How did you arrive at that webpage?

Anyway, it's understandably frustrating, especially since you successfully troubleshoot most problems by all appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    The point is he shouldn't need to know the ons and outs of how to best achieve his goals - a decent company should be client focused and deliver the same endpoint regardless of how he gets in contact - local branch, main branch, phone, RM whatever.

This should hold true at every level, not just "Premier"
    Unfortunately regulated entities tend to lack competition.

Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0
    Unfortunately regulated entities tend to lack competition.
    Plenty of banks in Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Plenty of banks in Hong Kong
    True, but I meant on the dimension you cared about, viz., client service. I heard of exactly one bank overseas with low deposit rates but a focus on delighting customers. Basically many otherwise decent companies are not client focused because they don't need to be. Telcos being another example. Maybe what the customer thinks matters less when you need the service and the number of competitors is constrained by scale or regulation?

Quote Originally Posted by loser
    After using HSBC for many years and tolerating their "customer service", I have given up and moved over to Citibank. The local staff at Citi are more helpful, in my experience, have better English. For OP's purposes I am not sure how useful Citibank would be, but I can see how frustrating it would have been trying to explain the Australian tax system to HSBC.

I feel that banks nowadays follow a cookie cutter approach and don't handle well for things that are slightly outside the norm.
    Citi also has a global view function too.
    bdw likes this.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast