Like Tree85Likes

Another HSBC Rant

Reply
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
  1. #51

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ???
    Posts
    28,722
    Quote Originally Posted by robertlempriere
    Does Citibank have an equivalent to HSBC's International Banking Centre?

    e.g. I am an existing Citi HK customer and would like to open a Citi Australia account ...
    Yes, they have an international banking team.
    robertlempriere likes this.

  2. #52

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    The World
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Yes, they have an international banking team.
    I think you have to be Citigold though.

  3. #53

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by jrkob
    In what sense ?
    So.
    Global View just allows you to see what balances you have in your accounts at other HSBC entities.
    This is helpful if either
    A. You only bank with HSBC in two countries; eg. AUS & HK; as is the case that @bdw described
    B. You have HSBC relationships in many many entities (nightmare) and are very regularly moving money around.

    Frankly, third party services such as mint.com or even Gini here in HK give you a better view of money around all your bank accounts, investments etc. regardless of whom you bank with.

    Now, Global Transfer!
    If you are making an AUD (HK) to AUD (AUS) transfer and HSBC lets you do it without fees, that's great. Because you aren't losing money. But in most cases, if you do any form of currency transfer, you are likely to be better off doing that with third party services like Instarem or Transferwise. Just for the better rates!

    I stand to be corrected but I haven't found HSBC FX rates to be competitive nor their overseas transactions to be quick.

  4. #54

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor
    Could not ever (i.e. not once) actually log on. I kept getting the message "The system is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later." over and over and over again ... for weeks.
    That's incredibly frustrating. I don't work at DBS but I can't imagine you had this issue for weeks and it was an issue with the online services of the bank. More like issues on your end.... Flush cache, delete cookies etc.
    How annoying though.

    How did you find the customer service?

    I just went over to Hang Seng to buy some gold coins and was told I had to open an account at Hang Seng to do so. Makes no sense to me!

  5. #55

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    341

    After some time dealing with Hong Kong banks, they do the things they do because of banking regulations. It's not that they want to be that way, it's just legally they are bound to do those things. Believe me, banks want to do more business, but when it's a total headache for them legally, they will just let it go. If they ever get into trouble it's always not worth it for them. Just how things are. I don't like Hong Kong banking system but what choice do we have living in Hong Kong?


  6. #56
    bdw
    bdw is online now

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,574
    Quote Originally Posted by rkenia852
    So.
    Global View just allows you to see what balances you have in your accounts at other HSBC entities.
    This is helpful if either
    A. You only bank with HSBC in two countries; eg. AUS & HK; as is the case that @bdw described
    B. You have HSBC relationships in many many entities (nightmare) and are very regularly moving money around.

    Frankly, third party services such as mint.com or even Gini here in HK give you a better view of money around all your bank accounts, investments etc. regardless of whom you bank with.

    Now, Global Transfer!
    If you are making an AUD (HK) to AUD (AUS) transfer and HSBC lets you do it without fees, that's great. Because you aren't losing money. But in most cases, if you do any form of currency transfer, you are likely to be better off doing that with third party services like Instarem or Transferwise. Just for the better rates!

    I stand to be corrected but I haven't found HSBC FX rates to be competitive nor their overseas transactions to be quick.
    To be clear, it is the free global transfer that I want because I need to transfer small amounts of AUD from HK account to Aus account every month. I already use instarem a lot for transferring from HKD to AUD and MYR. But I also have some AUD investments in HK paying me AUD dividends that I want to transfer into AU bank without any fees. Instarem cannot do AUD to AUD. HSBC global transfer with a HSBC account in both HK and AU sounds like a good tool for this. Most of my banking in HK is with Standard Chartered, and in Australia is with Bankwest, but HSBC appears to be a good middle tool for transferring between countries because both SC and Bankwest dont have this global transfer function.

    You are right HSBC rates are shit, their service is shit, I left them as my main bank in HK 10 years ago when I bought my HK property and decided to go with Standard Chartered. But now I am looking to move some business back to HSBC because they do have the tools that I want and unfortunately SC doesnt have.

  7. #57
    bdw
    bdw is online now

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,574
    Quote Originally Posted by jack55
    After some time dealing with Hong Kong banks, they do the things they do because of banking regulations. It's not that they want to be that way, it's just legally they are bound to do those things. Believe me, banks want to do more business, but when it's a total headache for them legally, they will just let it go. If they ever get into trouble it's always not worth it for them. Just how things are. I don't like Hong Kong banking system but what choice do we have living in Hong Kong?
    I asked Standard Chartered the other day if I can transfer the unit trusts I hold with them into my wifes name. They said sure come in and well sort it out.

    I asked HSBC if my wife can open a new Premier account, she doesnt work but I will write a cheque for $1m to deposit into her new account. They accused me of unethical behaviour trying to avoid paying Australian taxes and kicked me out of the branch. It was a premier center I was in by the way, some people say I have to go to central to open a premier account but then what the f*ck are all these premier centers for then?

  8. #58

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Hong-Kong
    Posts
    5,645
    Quote Originally Posted by rkenia852
    Frankly, third party services such as mint.com or even Gini here in HK give you a better view of money around all your bank accounts, investments etc. regardless of whom you bank with.
    Thanks for this. It seems I need to volunteer my loggin/password to these people to get what HSBC already gives me.

    It seems your grief is about HSBC FX rates, which I think everybody will agree to say that they suck the big time.

    Not GlobalView nor GlobalTransfers.
    Last edited by jrkob; 25-10-2019 at 02:06 PM.

  9. #59

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Mid-Levels
    Posts
    43

    HSBC Global View and Global Transfer has some quirks.

    HSBC Global View - allows you to see balances, but cannot do any specific transactions in other accounts. I.e, if you log into HSBC HK (app or website), you can see balances in your HSBC AU (for example), but if you need any account details, transaction inquiries etc, you will have to log into your HSBC AU account separately.

    HSBC Global Transfer (specially if you're a premier customer) - this is what I like the best. I do 1-2 transfers a month between HK and US. I have checked rates on few 3rd party transfer services and compared FX rates provided by them vs what HSBC quotes me, and there is not much of a difference. The beauty comes what @bdw is trying to do. Earlier this year, HSBC had a promo running where you could convert your HKD in HSBC HK to USD in HSBC HK using mobile app on inter-bank spot rates (i.e no markups). Did a few transfers that way and would send USD from HK account to my US account without the need for any conversion. In one of the transfers. I received USD 2.22 in interest income on the USD balance I held in HK, which I was able to transfer to US eventually at zero cost!.

    Just an observation on FX rates:

    There is a difference in rates offered for a) Transfer from HSBC HK HKD to HSBC HK USD account (fx conversion) vs. b) HSBC HK HKD to HSBC US USD through Global Transfer. the latter has always been cheaper, except for the time when they had this promo running.

    bdw, shri and z754103 like this.

  10. #60

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Hong-Kong
    Posts
    5,645
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderer01
    HSBC Global View - allows you to see balances, but cannot do any specific transactions in other accounts.
    I suspect that this is regulatory driven. As in a branch in a particular country cannot let you operate on an account offshore.
    shri likes this.

Reply
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast