Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By pin
  • 1 Post By Jamthe
  • 1 Post By pin
  • 1 Post By AliT

HSBC Expat transfers to UK

Closed Thread

HSBC Expat transfers to UK

Bit of a ballache. Want money to go from HSBC Expat to Nationwide account. HSBC Expat account has UK sort code and account number etc. Bank transfers within the UK banking system are free.

However HSBC Expat deems this as an international transfer and would charge me GBP4 to do it.

In the end transfer from HSBC Expat to HSBC UK (deemed international transfer but free as its to HSBC) and then from HSBC UK to HSBC HK.

Yes, all to save GBP4.

shri and Tadashi like this.

depends on how long in time you spent to do it..
    if the total time, including waiting, are just like 3minutes.. then technically u are better off only if your hourly pay is lower than 60m/3m * GBP4 = 80GBP... since your hourly pay (charges) is obviously higher than 80 GBP, then you ran a negative accrual.

As you said, "In the end transfer from HSBC Expat to HSBC UK (deemed international transfer but free as its to HSBC) and then from HSBC UK to HSBC HK," that is the best way of doing it.

If you are in HSBC Premier, you can link the accounts, if you haven't.

The notion of “free banking” is illusory, as was learnt about 20+ years ago in the UK (to considerable cost to many). Aiming to reduce costs of course, just don’t expect wholly free banking - it only means it’s not clear where or how much you are paying.

Just re read my OP. The sentence should have said from HSBC UK to Nationwide UK.

I don't have Premier with HSBC UK so can't benefit from Global View. Was told that to set Premier up (which I am eligle for) I have been told I need to physically go into a branch in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Just re read my OP. The sentence should have said from HSBC UK to Nationwide UK.

I don't have Premier with HSBC UK so can't benefit from Global View. Was told that to set Premier up (which I am eligle for) I have been told I need to physically go into a branch in the UK.
    Global view is available to Advanced customers and should be able to be set up through online banking. It is the "free" remittance which is only available to Premier.
    pin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Bit of a ballache. Want money to go from HSBC Expat to Nationwide account. HSBC Expat account has UK sort code and account number etc. Bank transfers within the UK banking system are free.

However HSBC Expat deems this as an international transfer and would charge me GBP4 to do it.

In the end transfer from HSBC Expat to HSBC UK (deemed international transfer but free as its to HSBC) and then from HSBC UK to HSBC HK.

Yes, all to save GBP4.
    This is exactly what I do when I need to send money to my sister.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamthe:
    Global view is available to Advanced customers and should be able to be set up through online banking. It is the "free" remittance which is only available to Premier.
    Thanks for that. My HSBC UK account is a basic one, do not even Advance. I think I can get it set up to Advance if I jump through some hoops.
    Jamthe likes this.

Pin,

If you are an Expat client then you will already either be Premier or Advance. You rarely see Expat Advance accounts these days, are mainly historic and most these days are Premier. With this, you will be able to upgrade your UK account accordingly.

Once you have done this, the remittance from your Expat account to your UK account can be completed using Global View and then the UK account will let you make the free Bill Payment transfer to your Nationwide account. Perhaps a long winded process, but a solution none the less.

Hope that helps.

pin likes this.