Like Tree74Likes

HSBC Red Credit Card: the HSBC card you can actually understand

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

exactly. A rubbish definition with no practicality for the customer.

bdw

I got screwed out of a "dining" promotion before when the restaurant I ate in was classified as a bakery by Visa/MC

Quote Originally Posted by pin

Can't cut and paste the text but in summary it says that online transactions are Eligible Transactions classified as online according to merchant code/transaction type as defined by MC except transactions made via e-Wallets.

Key:
    - No obligation to clarify beforehand what a particular expenditure may get treated as
    - Online bill payments and AAVS get lowest tier cash back (0.4%)
    - if it falls in multiple categories, first it goes into lowest tier , then online spending (4%), then local supermarkets (2%), then overseas/local spending (except e-wallets, 1%).

Quote Originally Posted by bdw
    Standard Chartered are the pricks that do this and they charge 1%.
    Incidentally, it was SC for me too, but before that Dah Sing - they did the same. Both MC. Are we sure this isn't an MC thing then?

Name:  Screenshot 2020-01-22 at 12.33.50 PM.png
Views: 271
Size:  17.6 KB

SC put this in their statement. If they're lying through their teeth (which wouldn't be beyond them) then... well... the bastards!
    bdw likes this.

bdw

Quote Originally Posted by tparker
    Incidentally, it was SC for me too, but before that Dah Sing - they did the same. Both MC. Are we sure this isn't an MC thing then?

Name:  Screenshot 2020-01-22 at 12.33.50 PM.png
Views: 271
Size:  17.6 KB

SC put this in their statement. If they're lying through their teeth (which wouldn't be beyond them) then... well... the bastards!
    I believe Mastercard have had this charge for a while, but Visa only started last year. Thats why the SC Asia miles card (mastercard) had this fee for a while, but the Priority banking (Visa Infinite) only started it last year.

But the point is that this should be an internal cost to the bank, not passed to customers. HSBC does not pass it on. SC passes it on, I'm not sure what other banks do. It's really a stupid charge, buy in HKD with a HKD credit card and still get a 1% charge just because of some internal mechanism whereby the payment is processed offshore.
    jrkob, muzzdang and tparker like this.

With AMEX no such charge

Quote Originally Posted by bdw
    I believe Mastercard have had this charge for a while, but Visa only started last year. Thats why the SC Asia miles card (mastercard) had this fee for a while, but the Priority banking (Visa Infinite) only started it last year.

But the point is that this should be an internal cost to the bank, not passed to customers. HSBC does not pass it on. SC passes it on, I'm not sure what other banks do. It's really a stupid charge, buy in HKD with a HKD credit card and still get a 1% charge just because of some internal mechanism whereby the payment is processed offshore.
    Its up to the credit card provider. My Citi Prestige for example is MC and it doesn't pass this charge on. My HSBC Red card is MC and it doesn't pass this charge on. My CCB Eye card is Visa and it doesn't pass this charge on.
    Paxbritannia likes this.

Just FYI with HSBC Red, the limit on the card (well for me anyway) was very low (HKD20k). Have asked for an increase, but this has gone to review by a supervisor.

Quote Originally Posted by pin
    Just FYI with HSBC Red, the limit on the card (well for me anyway) was very low (HKD20k). Have asked for an increase, but this has gone to review by a supervisor.
    What's wrong with you !!!
    I got an insane limit, although I don't remember what it was, and had to lower it down to a more comfortable level.

HSBC are useless on that stuff. I had a 50k limit for years, despite asking to raise it several times. In the end I just got an Amex and put everything I could on that.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast