Like Tree74Likes

HSBC Red Credit Card: the HSBC card you can actually understand

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

@tparker, I just checked my credit card statements, and it seems I have always been charged HKD78 on my HSBC cards. Latest one dated 12/12.2019. Below extract.

Name:  NETFLIX.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  11.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by tparker
    Slightly off topic, but I switched my Netflix subscription to AMEX because although charged in HKD, their processor is based overseas which qualifies this as an overseas-HKD transaction, therefore subject to the additional 0.95% which Visa / MC cheekily tag on. Not sure if anyone else noticed this. This bastards.
    Thanks for this. Just FYI it's not Visa or MC that do this but the specific card issuer. In my case I charge stuff like this normally to CCB Eye card and there is no additional charge.

You need to check the terms of your card issuer on this.

bdw

Quote Originally Posted by tparker
    Slightly off topic, but I switched my Netflix subscription to AMEX because although charged in HKD, their processor is based overseas which qualifies this as an overseas-HKD transaction, therefore subject to the additional 0.95% which Visa / MC cheekily tag on. Not sure if anyone else noticed this. This bastards.
    Standard Chartered are the pricks that do this and they charge 1%. For example, they charge me $93.93 for my netflix subscription that should be only $93. They add an extra 1%. But after changing netflix to my HSBC card, this charge has disappeared.

For small charges like netflix, its not a huge amount. But the real scam is when you buy larger ticket items such as buying flights online, etc. For example, I spent around $12000 shipping boxes from HK to Australia with SevenSeas. I mistakenly used my Standard Chartered CC rather than HSBC or Citibank, ended up charging me $120 more than what SevenSeas billed me. Standard Chartered really has no shame at all.
    robertlempriere and muzzdang like this.

Standard Chartered really has no shame at all.
    Gotta pay those global fines you know!

What is more shocking is that you made a mistake on a credit card transaction. Unacceptable to some of us who have a very godly opinion of you.

@jrkob, AAVS recharge gives 1$ Rewardcash/ 250$ recharge- 0.4%.
    @pin , could you point me to list a of things that qualify as "online" expenditure? From what I could gather looking around, it seems that the HSBC Visa Signature is good if one can qualify, followed by Red.

bdw

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Gotta pay those global fines you know!

What is more shocking is that you made a mistake on a credit card transaction. Unacceptable to some of us who have a very godly opinion of you.
    Sorry to let you down Shri . But how am I supposed to know that Sevenseas payment gateway or however it works was located overseas (maybe I could have guessed).They charged me in HKD so I thought I can use any HK credit card. Only SC is low enough to charge a 1% fee on HKD transactions made on a HK credit card, just because some back end processing that the customer is unaware of is done overseas. They started this practice on their normal Simply Cash and Asia miles cards first a few years ago, then suddenly last year some knucklehead in their office decided that ripping off the normal customers was not enough and they need to rip off the priority card customers too.

Quote Originally Posted by Apjace
    @jrkob, AAVS recharge gives 1$ Rewardcash/ 250$ recharge- 0.4%.
    @pin , could you point me to list a of things that qualify as "online" expenditure? From what I could gather looking around, it seems that the HSBC Visa Signature is good if one can qualify, followed by Red.
    Anything online as defined in their terms. I think the red card rebate for online is better than the Signature card (however if they run a promotion then the cashback may end up being better on Signature, but that would be seasonal and not ongoing).

Quote Originally Posted by pin
    Anything online as defined in their terms. I think the red card rebate for online is better than the Signature card (however if they run a promotion then the cashback may end up being better on Signature, but that would be seasonal and not ongoing).
    Neither the T&C or the "key facts statement" pdfs on this page are explicit about what falls under online spending. Did you have any other source?

https://www.redhotoffers.hsbc.com.hk...d-credit-card/

Neither the T&C or the "key facts statement" pdfs on this page are explicit about what falls under online spending. Did you have any other source?
    I agree. I had a look at the T&Cs when the card went out and frankly, they are very evasive about what constitutes an online purchase.

https://www.redhotoffers.hsbc.com.hk...d-credit-card/
    https://www.hsbc.com.hk/content/dam/...conditions.pdf

Can't cut and paste the text but in summary it says that online transactions are Eligible Transactions classified as online according to merchant code/transaction type as defined by MC except transactions made via e-Wallets.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast