Like Tree8Likes

Credit Cards for Paying Tax?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Credit Cards for Paying Tax?

Most credit cards don't give you any benefits for using them to pay tax.

Citibank has one offer (although not particularly generous).

https://www.citibank.com.hk/english/...axpayment.html

Any others around?

I have a Citibank card and just registered in the program above. I also have a HSBC card and they sent me an "exclusive" offer via mail, I can't find it on their website so not sure its available to all or if it's really some exclusive make me feel special kind of bullshit, but anyway is only $500 so more or less the same as the Citibank one. The exact offer is "Earn 0.4% reward cash rebate for online tax payments, capped at $400, an extra $100 if you pay over $100k". So all up $500.

hmm maybe the trick is to pay some of my tax with a Citibank card, and some with a HSBC card. Mix and match the amounts to optimise the cash back

Off topic - did anyone receive the assessment yet? I know we will have to wait until the tax reduction is passed. But I have also heard a handful of people who have received their assement?

Quote Originally Posted by latex:
    Off topic - did anyone receive the assessment yet? I know we will have to wait until the tax reduction is passed. But I have also heard a handful of people who have received their assement?
    Many are getting them now.
    https://geoexpat.com/forum/175/thread354487-6.html

Anyone get any more credit card offers to pay tax?

still haven't got mine. HSBC normally offers a RC bonus for paying with CC - good chance to top up the air miles balance.
    dboldie likes this.

So far what has been published link below >>

Citibank's HK$ 300 for paying >200k, with HK$300 add on if you pay before 31st Dec

HSBC has this monthly 200RC rebate offer for payment of tax.. so technically you can schedule your payment into 4 tranches (Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb) and receive 800RC in total. But only selected cardholders.

DBS has a 500HKD rebate on >100k payment

Citic bank 200HKD for >80k payment

if you read chinese the link is:

https://www.******.com/hk/blog/credi...on-tax-payment

Last edited by freeier; 10-12-2019 at 05:34 PM.
    AsianXpat0 likes this.

Just to be clear, the tax reduction this year ($20k) is less than last year ($30k). So expect to pay more tax than last year, and it's still due in January and April like in previous years so be ready for it!

What would happen if you were to overpay on your tax bill slightly in order to benefit from a credit card offer?

Preferably, you get a credit on your tax account, which can be used to offset next year's tax, and you also get the money from the credit card offer. Does anyone know if this is right?

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    What would happen if you were to overpay on your tax bill slightly in order to benefit from a credit card offer?

Preferably, you get a credit on your tax account, which can be used to offset next year's tax, and you also get the money from the credit card offer. Does anyone know if this is right?
    the card company wouldn't know your exact bill, and IRD will either rebate you or leave the money in the account till next year..
    you can try and let us know.. 8-)
    drumbrake likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    the card company wouldn't know your exact bill, and IRD will either rebate you or leave the money in the account till next year..
    you can try and let us know.. 8-)

I overpaid. I've just received the refund cheque. Still waiting for the cash credit from the credit card.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast