Like Tree22Likes

Cathay Amex cuts lounge benefits again

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    Premium Plaza First, though, is amazing. If you have access to a normal premium Plaza, they will let you upgrade for 250HKD, and it is worth every penny.
    Agree it’s very good. I got a free pass from my HKT Club membership.

The only lounges worth going to is the Business/ First class lounge.

The rest serve unnecessary calories and provide a place to look at your phones only. Both can be done outside, which is more often than not less crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by DimSumBond:
    The only lounges worth going to is the Business/ First class lounge.
    I have been to CX's Wing (their first class lounge) once and it was great. Massage, showers, bed, fine dining, etc. Granted, I only got access there because my boss was diamond status and can invite a guest. He was kind enough to bring me along. But miles ahead of Plaza Premium, no question about that.

I wonder about airlines lounge at HKIA, which is the next best lounge, if you are flying on a non-CX airline?
    junichitsuyo likes this.

For OneWorld, I prefer Qantas to Cathay lounges - great food and drink, and a really nice space.

Coolboy and Skyhook like this.

It pisses me off when companies change this unilaterally and then essentially say: "if you don't like it, you can always leave".

How was the unlimited service worded in the contract you signed with them?

Quote Originally Posted by CharSiuNow:
    It pisses me off when companies change this unilaterally and then essentially say: "if you don't like it, you can always leave".

How was the unlimited service worded in the contract you signed with them?
    When I first joined the card included Priority Pass (lounges all over the world) and Premium Plaza (a small number mainly in Asia). A year or two ago they cut Priority Pass. Now they've limited Premium Plaza. If the benefits had been what they are now when I first looked into it, I'd never have signed up for the card honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    When I first joined the card included Priority Pass (lounges all over the world) and Premium Plaza (a small number mainly in Asia). A year or two ago they cut Priority Pass. Now they've limited Premium Plaza. If the benefits had been what they are now when I first looked into it, I'd never have signed up for the card honestly.
    Sounds to me like a lawyer could have some fun with this one, if you can get enough people behind it?

Sounds to me like a lawyer could have some fun with this one, if you can get enough people behind it?
    When lawyers have fun, only lawyers win. Also, lawyers don't accept amex, so you cannot earn miles.

(I do think there are generic escape clauses in all these contracts which essentially allow the card provider to do what they want - it is the consumer laws of the country / location that prevent such fuckery - I think.)
    greenmark and CharSiuNow like this.

UGH. this is frustrating. I actually do travel quite a fair bit and it's really nice to use (in Singapore) and other airports where it is less crowded. I don't like the local lounge but free beer - so i can't complain. They need to find a way to let cardholders know how many passes they have left. I have my citibank card that offers something similar too so i guess I can use that once i exhaust my Amex complimentary access.

Even though I have the card plus the Priority Pass I rarely go into a lounge (maybe once every 10/20 flights) even when I fly business class I rarely use it. As I also rock up just an hour before a flight.