Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shri

Prepaid Credit Cards in HK

Prepaid Credit Cards in HK

Are these for sale anywhere in HK? I'm talking about the kind you can easily get at the supermarket in the US. Mastercard, Visa or AMEX doesnt matter.

I know about Octupus, doesn't fit my intended use. I need the card to make an online transaction to buy something and PayPal as well as my own cards are not an option.

Tap and Go - online and I think they should still be available at 7-11.

They have an app too .. but something tells me that you're probably a 'get off my lawn' kinda person when it comes to using an app generated card.

(You will need to submit a scan or photo of your iD card...)

A few folks on here also recommend NEAT .. never used it.

TravelEx also has a card - but its expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    A few folks on here also recommend NEAT .. never used it.
    I'm one of those: I've had one for 3 years (basically from the start) and swear by it. The app gives instant updates, which I love, and the rates are decent. Not everything is perfect (somebody complained about customer service), but I couldn't live in HK without it.

Signing up was as easy as downloading the app, scanning your passport and your face, and then uploading money; job done.

Thanks for posting the link and reminding me ... we'd blocked them because they were spamming the forums or their affiliates were spamming.

^^ link posted was neat dot hk

CharSiuNow likes this.

Neat gives you a physical MasterCard, fees on overseas transactions are ok. Some limits on amounts of inwards & outwards transfers, which can be lifted once accounts are verified.

It has had issues recently - they closed down their live help chat a few months ago, the email system can be slow to respond. The FPS top-up is unreliable, seems to work most times, but occasionally will not arrive on the card. Sending a transfer receipt gets it sorted, but it takes a day or so. If you look at their Facebook page you can see complaints in the comments.

It works for me, I don't keep money on it, only transfer when I want to buy something on niche sites that may not have ironclad secure systems.

One downside is that if the company payment system pre-authorises the purchase with Neat and then takes a while to send it out & finally charge, the pre-authorisation gets cancelled after 10 days so the payment can be declined.

bdw

Quote Originally Posted by CharSiuNow
    I'm one of those: I've had one for 3 years (basically from the start) and swear by it. The app gives instant updates, which I love, and the rates are decent. Not everything is perfect (somebody complained about customer service), but I couldn't live in HK without it.

Signing up was as easy as downloading the app, scanning your passport and your face, and then uploading money; job done.
    Does a neat card give you rewards such as AsiaMiles or cashback?

circle K / seven-eleven often have pre-paid card MasterCard, you can add value once - max HKD 5000, I see no way to check the balance.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw
    Does a neat card give you rewards such as AsiaMiles or cashback?
    Nope, but I consider that you generally pay for those kind of things yourself anyway. If these points are essential to you, then yes, that could be a problem.

One other point is that the backers of Neat are based in China, meaning that all your spending data is also available there. If this is something that bothers you (and I admit it does bother me), then Neat is also not ideal.