Like Tree21Likes

HSBC ditching physical mobile security key?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Not banking, but credit card for sure. But that is a universal issue.
    You're right, it's a credit card issue but it seems to happen more with HK banks in my experience.

E.g. you are traveling, have a new SIM plugged in, and you need to rebook your flight last minute and pay online. You'll need to swap out your SIMs just to get the SMS OTP to process the transaction.

Or if you live overseas, everytime you use a HK credit card you'll have to pop in your old SIM (provided you kept the number too).

Quote Originally Posted by eightfivetwo:
    Or if you live overseas, everytime you use a HK credit card you'll have to pop in your old SIM (provided you kept the number too).
    Doesn't have to be a HK number.

Quote Originally Posted by eightfivetwo:
    You're right, it's a credit card issue but it seems to happen more with HK banks in my experience.

E.g. you are traveling, have a new SIM plugged in, and you need to rebook your flight last minute and pay online. You'll need to swap out your SIMs just to get the SMS OTP to process the transaction.

If anyone travels frequently then they should always have a dual sim phone. It really is the best thing and solves so many issues.
    shri and angeluscomplex like this.

I don't want to use an app on my phone for the security device, I don't like to install apps on my phone. For me the inconvenience of losing my phone and the great unknown of monitoring activity are too strong. I keep the physical security device hidden at home and rarely ever use it. I don't mind heading into the branch for one offs or things that would normally require the device - my branch is usually pretty quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter White:
    If anyone travels frequently then they should always have a dual sim phone. It really is the best thing and solves so many issues.
    I've only ever had dual-sim phones after moving to HK, so the SMS OTP thing has never been an issue for me using my card anywhere I have mobile service.

If you have an iPhone or whatever it's good to have a second phone as a travel accessory exactly for stuff like this IMO.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    There is a heavy reliance by HKs banking sector on SMS OTP.
    Post is about HSBC so I was wondering if the SMS OTP question was about HSBC too. Seems it wasn't

I got one of these FOB when I open HSBC mainland, that is so outdated... I had to carry this thing every time I go to china....

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5