Like Tree17Likes

ZA Bank - How to Download / Use / Register

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by OneManDown:
    How did you get around "This app is not available in your country."?
    Your issue should be similar to this one: https://geoexpat.com/forum/135/thread356986.html

Will take a look at that thanks

Also, according to their FAQ here (https://bank.za.group/en/faq-disclosure) looks like one also needs a valid HK residential address. What did you put there?

Thanks.

Actually, found out you can download the APK direct off their website, at the very bottom of the page next to the Get from Google Play Store button.

rkenia852 likes this.

Not that I'm surprised, but ZA Bank won't let you open an account if you say that you were born in the U.S. or click 'The United States of America' for any option within their app.

I had a sole-named Citibank HK account that I just closed last month that I had barely used for a while because once Citibank HK adopted FPS it broke my ability to use it to transfer HKD for free to Schwab's Citibank N.A. account, which is denominated in HKD. HSBC HK for some reason let's me transfer HKD to Schwab's Citibank N.A. HK account though, and I've been using that for a while, but my HSBC HK and ICBC Asia accounts are both joint accounts.

Every foreign bank account that a U.S. citizen opens also legally needs to be declared every year you have it on the FBAR FinCEN Report 114, which is what finally motivated me to close my Citibank HK account.

Additonally, I still haven't seen one bank in HK allow you to take a picture of a check within their app to deposit it. Maybe it's related to something here - https://www.hkicl.com.hk/eng/our_ser...r_clearing.php or something with the HKMA or something else or perhaps just laziness on the banks side or a combination. I was able to deposit U.S. checks by taking a picture with my phone since 2010.

Paper checks are annoying and outdated, but sometimes they seem to be a necessary evil likes faxes.

I'm wondering if you have two refer two people that must create accounts before you're eligible for the $600? From the website promo page, it looks like it need to.

I went through the process of signing up for ZA when they first launched. They wouldn't let me opt out of receiving unlimited spam for the privilege of acting as their marketing agent to possible earn a few extra dollars so I decided to give them a permeant miss.

Might be more suited to people with large networks of "friends" connected on social media.

Hmm so it looks like without a valid HK number and HK address, very hard to create an ZA account if you're an expat.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor:
    I went through the process of signing up for ZA when they first launched. They wouldn't let me opt out of receiving unlimited spam for the privilege of acting as their marketing agent to possible earn a few extra dollars so I decided to give them a permeant miss.

Might be more suited to people with large networks of "friends" connected on social media.
    I created a junk email for purposes like this. Opened up an account with ZA 2 months ago to take advantage of the high interest rate. After my maturity I'll transfer back to my main bank account and that's about it.
    Sage likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OneManDown:
    Hmm so it looks like without a valid HK number and HK address, very hard to create an ZA account if you're an expat.
    You have to scan your HKID to open an account, so I'm not sure why you think you could open an account without even a valid HKID.

For the HK address part, you could input the address of someone you trust with their permission and they shouldn't send you a hard-copy of hardly anything as a virtual bank that says they only allow e-statements. I'm not sure if they'll accept a business address, but there are many services that would be happy to provide you with a Hong Kong mailing address for a fee.

I do have a HKID, so that's okay.

Yeah, I guess worse case scenario I could grab a HK SIM off eBay, and do your suggestion for the address part.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast