Like Tree15Likes

O!ePay AAVS Loophole with PrimeCredit's EarnMore CC + More Ideas Wanted

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Has anyone successfully linked two Octopus cards with their name with two different PrimeCredit EarnMore UnionPay cards? My personalized octopus is linked with my wife's PrimeCredit card, but I was wondering if you think despite Octopus' wording if they'll let me link another octopus card to my name with the same financial institution, PrimeCredit, with two different credit cards?

Has anyone done this with SC?

Some relevant terms at https://www.octopus.com.hk/en/consum...avs/index.html

and within the AAVS application form:
    Name:  Screenshot_2020-07-06-06-51-24-986_com.amazon.kindle.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  592.9 KB

Having access to more Octopus cards with AAVS with a credit card that earns 2% on AAVS means I could get more cash back up to the number of Octopus cards I can use with O!ePay.

According to SC's website though as far as using SC's Simply Cash (1.5% cash back credit card) "Effective from 25 November 2016, any transfer / top up transaction from Standard Chartered / MANHATTAN Credit Card(s) to the Octopus O! ePay Account will not be entitled to any reward(s) earning including but not limited to 360° Rewards Point(s), bonus point(s), CashBack, mile(s)."

https://www.sc.com/hk/campaign/oepay/

Thus, even though SC makes it very easy to top-up an O!ePay account with an SC credit card doing so doesn't earn rewards, but it could still be essentially a fairly short, but free cash advance up to the limit you can top-up.

@bdw do you get cash back or miles when using O!ePay with an SC credit card? Or do you only get rewards when you top-up via AAVS, so thus you're limited to 500HKD per day per AAVS Octopus card?

bdw

Quote Originally Posted by LoganH:
    According to SC's website though as far as using SC's Simply Cash (1.5% cash back credit card) "Effective from 25 November 2016, any transfer / top up transaction from Standard Chartered / MANHATTAN Credit Card(s) to the Octopus O! ePay Account will not be entitled to any reward(s) earning including but not limited to 360° Rewards Point(s), bonus point(s), CashBack, mile(s)."

https://www.sc.com/hk/campaign/oepay/

Thus, even though SC makes it very easy to top-up an O!ePay account with an SC credit card doing so doesn't earn rewards, but it could still be essentially a fairly short, but free cash advance up to the limit you can top-up.

@bdw do you get cash back or miles when using O!ePay with an SC credit card? Or do you only get rewards when you top-up via AAVS, so thus you're limited to 500HKD per day per AAVS Octopus card?
    Yeah I don't bother to link my SC account to O!epay through internet banking because they don't give any points for these kind of transfers. I only topup my O!epay account through the AAVS (by physically beeping my octopus card on the back of my phone). $500 per day ($4k per month limit). This is the way to scam them to get free points. I have the SC simply cash card which gives 1.5% cash back every time I beep my octopus on the back of my phone.

I didn't hit the 3,000HKD per month limit last month, and I upgraded my O!ePay account to an O!ePay Pro account, but the 3,000HKD per month limit is the same. So after transferring out 3,000HKD via P2P or the Transfer out functionality in the Octopus app, Octopus charges a 1% transaction fee on all the amounts transferred out about 3,000HKD.

bdw

Quote Originally Posted by LoganH:
    I didn't hit the 3,000HKD per month limit last month, and I upgraded my O!ePay account to an O!ePay Pro account, but the 3,000HKD per month limit is the same. So after transferring out 3,000HKD via P2P or the Transfer out functionality in the Octopus app, Octopus charges a 1% transaction fee on all the amounts transferred out about 3,000HKD.

It used to be $4k per month. Now its $3k per month. This is obviously to limit the amount of scamming that sneaky bastards like you and I can get away with. But they can never shut down this loophole entirely without completely stopping the reward program for AAVS altogether, which would piss off a lot of regular non sneaky bastard people.

To follow up with this thread, I hit a new 10,000HKD monthly limit I wasn't previously aware of. I now see you can read about it at under #4, and then by hovering over the question mark after "Monthly fund transfer limit from Registered Octopus" at https://www.octopus.com.hk/en/consum...out-oepay.htmlYou can only transfer in up to 10,000HKD in total per month from Octopus cards into your O!ePay account.

If your HK tax bill isn't too high and your AAVS credit card issuer normally doesn't let you earn points/miles/cashback from paying HK taxes with it, you could transfer up to 500HKD per day using AAVS or 1,000HKD per day if you have two Octopus cards with AAVS (maybe your spouse's card if they'll let you or maybe you have two+ yourself). You can check out more details about what you can do with AAVS with different banks/credit card issuers at https://www.octopus.com.hk/en/consum...g-methods.html I personally haven't tried registering multiple octopus cards in my name with the same financial institution, but that might be worth trying for you.

Anyway, one game/trick is to essentially add as much money as you can using AAVS with an NFC-enabled Android phone into your O!ePay Pro account (do all the things necessary to upgrade to O!ePay Pro). Then you can use your O!ePay balance to pay your HK Tax bill (just scan the QR code on your HK tax bill within the Octopus app), or you could at least pay some of it (I haven't tried a partial payment yet). Going through all these hoops means you earn the same amount you do on AAVS (2% with a PrimeCredit EarnMore UnionPay card) as that amount you can pay the IRD with your O!ePay balance (that you added to using AAVS).

I also believe paying your IRD bill doesn't hit the same 10,000HKD a month limit as the one I did when I just added to my O!ePay account and then transferred my O!ePay balance out to my mortgage linked savings plan, which I did to earn a tiny bit more on interest (H+1.24%) until my AAVS credit card payment is due. This is probably not worth it to most, but for me it's an amusing game.

Happy playing/earning!

shri and pin like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3