Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By DimSumBond
  • 1 Post By aw451

Standard Chartered - Priority Banking International Services

Standard Chartered - Priority Banking International Services

I have SC Priority Banking. I generally try to avoid any communication with them in person or on the phone - besides occasionally having a counter service.So, I hope someone can answer this question and I don't waste time talking to them.

On their website, SC say that they can 'make global banking simple', and 'Setting up multi-country accounts is easy and our Global Link service helps you link and view your Standard Chartered accounts around the globe in a single view'.

OK, so if I want a SC account in the UK (or maybe Jersey?) is it really that easy to do? Once I have the UK account(or Jersey), would I be able to move money from SC UK/Jersey to my UK bank account without charges?

You can do all that with HSBC prem so I'm pretty sure SC will have an aligned service offering

Does SC even have a retail presence of any sort in the UK?

SC does not operate any high street locations for retail customers in the UK or Jersey.

You would need to stick with HSBC. But the real question is is it worth the added compliance and need to deal with HSBC for "single view" and "free" transfers?

The age of global banking pretty much ended after the raft of regulations kicked in post GFC. I recommend using the best local bank in each location you want and need.

shri and drumbrake like this.

I spoke with SC about this a couple of days ago. They said they only have a retail presence in Singapore or Malaysia and recommended opening an HSBC Premier account if I was looking to open an account in the UK.

drumbrake likes this.

Interesting... I thought they would have an expat base in Jersey or another British dependency similar to HSBC. Kind of makes me want to dig into their accounts to understand the business model a bit better... I.e. how well does it work to not have the cheap funding provided by retail depositors (but also not the cost base of dealing with them).

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    Interesting... I thought they would have an expat base in Jersey or another British dependency similar to HSBC. Kind of makes me want to dig into their accounts to understand the business model a bit better... I.e. how well does it work to not have the cheap funding provided by retail depositors (but also not the cost base of dealing with them).
    Their base is Asia, even though their HQ is London.