Like Tree4Likes

Sending USD from HK to US

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sending USD from HK to US

I am trying to send USD from my HK multi-currency bank account (Citibank) to another person located in the US. It looks like all of the online transfer services offer international transfer only if there is currency conversion involved. It seems like this leaves me only to do inter-bank transfer and accept Citi fees.

Does anyone know a low-fee way to send USD to USD from HK to US?

Check out transferwise.

TaD_LaLa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Check out transferwise.
    Do transferwise do same-currency international transfers?

Transwerwise doesnt seem to do it unless there is a currency conversion included. I already have USD in HK.

HSBC for sure does USD transfer online. Would be weird for Citi not to. Can't you chose the USD account as account where the transfer should be debited from? That's how it works in HSBC online banking. Even if you do it at the branch, they will exchange HKD for USD, and then debit the USD account for the transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    HSBC for sure does USD transfer online. Would be weird for Citi not to. Can't you chose the USD account as account where the transfer should be debited from? That's how it works in HSBC online banking. Even if you do it at the branch, they will exchange HKD for USD, and then debit the USD account for the transfer.
    Yes, I can do it with Citi. However, I am trying to minimise the fees as I will be doing multiple smalle money transfers (USD 500 or less). I am amazed that so many services exist to do international money transfer and yet none of them will allow to do it in the same currency. So I am trying to see if anyone knows a way to go fee free or minimal fee.

As I said, with HSBC you can transfer whatever currencies you want as long as you have some in your account. But for amounts around $500 I'd use transferwise.

Quote Originally Posted by lolone:
    Yes, I can do it with Citi. However, I am trying to minimise the fees as I will be doing multiple smalle money transfers (USD 500 or less). I am amazed that so many services exist to do international money transfer and yet none of them will allow to do it in the same currency. So I am trying to see if anyone knows a way to go fee free or minimal fee.
    It's a lot harder to hide your fees if you can't do it in the currency conversion...
    lolone and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Check out transferwise.
    As far as I know must the sender and receiver of the transfer be one and the same person. In other words: you can't transfer to third parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Windmill65:
    As far as I know must the sender and receiver of the transfer be one and the same person. In other words: you can't transfer to third parties.
    Transferwise is for sending to third parties. However it depends on which country your account is tagged as, the currency, etc. You can also look at Payoneer, or western union.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast