Like Tree21Likes

New arrival in HK - bank advice please

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    For both SC and Citibank, why don't you apply on your mobile using the SC or Citbank mobile App? No need to walk into a branch, they both give extra cashback to new customers who apply to open accounts using these apps.

https://www.sc.com/hk/deposits/savin...count-opening/

https://www.citibank.com.hk/english/...IAR5ENBABNCAAN
    Opening an account online will most likely not work for the OP. As he will surely get the new smart HKID, online mobile applications from both Citibank and SCB do not work with the new smart HKID cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Cminds:
    Opening an account online will most likely not work for the OP. As he will surely get the new smart HKID, online mobile applications from both Citibank and SCB do not work with the new smart HKID cards.
    Ironic
    dfc and bdw like this.

We got a HSBC account and credit card quite easy in the first week or two in HK. Difficult to remember exactly but cetainly it was done on a temporary address (serviced apartment/hotel) and possibly temporary or no ID card. We did have a contract of employment and passport/work visa.

Quote Originally Posted by Cminds:
    That sounds ridiculous, but you are right (at least for SC I can see it on their website). But I cannot see any logic to this, when opening an accout with the mobile app, it uses your phones camera to take a snapshot of the HKID. What is it about the new smart ID cards that makes them unusable? Do they have some technology that stops them being photographed?

The SC app is not faster. You apply and a few days later they confirm that your account has been opened given that all your documents are in order. If you want to safe time it's best to go into the bank in person and you'll walk out with a new bank account in less than an hour.

I been dealing with HSBC Canada for a period of time now and they have a lot of deals and the fees are very reasonable. I think partly is because they are trying to get more clients in Canada.

I did notice the requirement in HSBC Hong Kong is higher than both HSBC CA and HSBC Mainland.

Does HK have any online only banking? Canada has a few of these and they are very nice as interest rate tend to be good and next to nothing fees.

Looks like WeLab and ZA Bank been mention in this thread! Are they safe? Do they have very limited amount of ATM for depositing or withdraw cash?

AVOID HSBC like the plague. Irrespective of whether they are good in your home country. They are shit here.

Paxbritannia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    AVOID HSBC like the plague. Irrespective of whether they are good in your home country. They are shit here.
    ^ This x10000000000000000000

Original Post Deleted
    Good to know. thx