Keeping UK Bank Account Open

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by eightfivetwo:
    Do you use the account or card once in a while to keep it active or it literally just sits there?
    never used it, just sitting there. I didn't close it when I left, as I thought I would go back someday and it has been there ever since. UK banks are surely very easygoing compare to their EU counterparts.
    Last edited by blandy62; 15-08-2020 at 03:35 PM.

I kept all my uk bank accounts open but kept them at the UK address (which was our home but rented out to tenants - they stored any post for us)I did change my Halifax bank to my HK address but the only issue then was when I tried to open a new savings account with them they wouldn't let me as I was not in UK. So I changed the address back to UK (online) and hey presto all ok again!

Quote Originally Posted by blandy62:
    never used it, just sitting there. I didn't close it when I left, as I thought I would go back someday and it has been there ever since. UK banks are surely very easygoing compare to their EU counterparts.
    Very interesting as all the stories online seem to suggest they are not that easygoing. Many expats living in the EU have had difficulties in keeping their bank accounts open... I guess it helps if I'm only using a simple current account.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    I kept all my uk bank accounts open but kept them at the UK address (which was our home but rented out to tenants - they stored any post for us)I did change my Halifax bank to my HK address but the only issue then was when I tried to open a new savings account with them they wouldn't let me as I was not in UK. So I changed the address back to UK (online) and hey presto all ok again!
    This is a good idea. Just have a shoebox or something for the tenant to put all the mail in.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2