Like Tree6Likes

Opening a bank account from quarantine

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opening a bank account from quarantine

Hi all,

Looking forward to arriving in HK soon. I'm supposed to start working while in quarantine, and I'm pretty sure I need an HK bank account to be paid. Can anyone recommend any way I can open one entirely from a hotel room (online or phone in English?) I know this is hard and the main banks aren't an option; I just need something into which my salary can be deposited until I can walk out of the hotel and have more options for opening an account traditionally. Ideally, I'd like a bank that I could use an ATM to get cash out from right after I leave quarantine as well (I know about ZA bank and welcome hearing about experiences with them but they're less than ideal to that end.)

Any options for dealing with address requirement in this situation also? I'm afraid I will be hotel-based for some time even after quarantine.

If anyone is wondering, I've tried the option of opening an account remotely from my country via HSBC first (AFAIK the only bank offering the possibility of doing this from here), but after weeks and weeks of appointments they completely just ghosted me (feel like you maybe need a multimillion dollar salary for them to treat you well?) and my application is frozen in limbo and it doesn't seem worth it to try to engage them again in this process given I will be in HK in person sooner than they can help even if they cared.

Citi apparently has some sort of online bank opening.

Unfortunately, if you have not got your ID sorted - might not be possible.

Also, if you are a US citizen or PR... Many of the Asian banks will initially be a no go.

bdw likes this.

ZA Bank works, but you need a HKID card with the app and as a new arrival you probably won't have that yet.

Thanks - I read some horror stories about Citi not really creating an account despite people completing the app process and their needing to start over in person, so not sure that's a good option.

The lack of HKID makes it hard, too. It seems some online accounts you can also only open if you're PR!

I'll ask about Transferwise but this is a large organization and I'm somewhat doubtful they will be nimble about payroll like that, so any other ideas welcome.

Is your employer open to giving you a moving allowance or an advance on your salary - payable to your existing home country account? This should solve the problem of opening accounts, but having cash available on day 1 for move related expenses.

I'm less worried about having cash than money simply not being paid or there being a major issue retrieving salary from this period because things weren't linked to an HK account.

You'll be able to apply for HK bank account as soon as you've applied for HKID. Make sure you've booked your appointment for that. They'll give you a paper that works as a temporary HKID, it would be good enough for opening account.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by prospectiveHKer:
    I'm less worried about having cash than money simply not being paid or there being a major issue retrieving salary from this period because things weren't linked to an HK account.
    Ask them to pay you by cheque until you have your autopay capable account setup?

You can deposit your cheque as soon as you've sorted out your HKID / account opened.
    prospectiveHKer likes this.

I wonder if IB would work for payroll deposits in HK..
    https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=25351

I doubt they will pay you directly when you land. Usually it will be at the end of the month, so depending on when you arrive you could be out of quarantine, picked up your HKID, opened a bank account before they pay you.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast