Like Tree19Likes

Virtual Banks in Hong Kong: questions and comparisons

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Another data point at the moment on Mox is linked up to Google and Apple Pay.

how do I deposit a cheque into these accounts?

Quote Originally Posted by nivek2046:
    Er, it's late 2020. When did you last deposit a cheque?

(Yeah, I know, Hong Kong...)
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nivek2046:
    I don't think you would use the virtual banks as your main bank account.

As shared by the fellow posters, use it for the high interest rates, cash back rebates, special deals, etc. Since moving funds via FPS is free and instant, just move your excess cash and earn 1% PA (savings account not fixed deposit) which is 1000x what you get from other banks.
    nivek2046 likes this.

Does anyone know if you can open an account with any of the virtual banks without being physically present in Hong Kong or having an address there?

I hold a Permanent Hong Kong ID card but am resident in the UK right now. If they need proof of address, will they accept proof of a residential address overseas?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_Makati:
    Does anyone know if you can open an account with any of the virtual banks without being physically present in Hong Kong or having an address there?

I hold a Permanent Hong Kong ID card but am resident in the UK right now. If they need proof of address, will they accept proof of a residential address overseas?
    Technically you're supposed to be a resident of Hong Kong, and I think they make you declare it, but there is no need for proof of address as long as you enter a Hong Kong address (for them to send the card to).

Quote Originally Posted by eightfivetwo:
    Technically you're supposed to be a resident of Hong Kong, and I think they make you declare it, but there is no need for proof of address as long as you enter a Hong Kong address (for them to send the card to).

Thanks.

Looks like it wouldn't work for me as I don't have access to a Hong Kong postal address. I guess they'd probably want a Hong Kong mobile phone number too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_Makati:
    I guess they'd probably want a Hong Kong mobile phone number too.
    They do.

stupid questions. why don't you ask your banks to get formal answers?

for MOX, you will see the bank account number via the mobile app. people can transfer money to your MOX account using your account number; or mobile number/email address via FPS. this is virtual bank's principle. if a virtual bank offers you an ATM card, suppose you can do withdrawal / deposit of cash via ATM kiosks. MOX card deliberately don't print account number on card is to increase security.