Re-Activating HSBC ATM Card?

Closed Thread

Question Re-Activating HSBC ATM Card?

Has anyone not used their HSBC ATM card for an extended period of time and had to have it re-activated? I just realised that it will be coming up to a year since I last popped it in to withdraw cash and have faint recollection of my HSBC Business ATM Card not being used for years and years and then getting declined at an ATM. I thought 'What the?' at the time and had to go into the branch and think I was told if you don't use it for a set time the deactivate it.

Currently overseas, and will be for some time so wondering if I need to make the long trip to a HSBC here to get some cash out to keep it operational. I would call them and ask but before I go through that, anyone any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by london008:
    Has anyone not used their HSBC ATM card for an extended period of time and had to have it re-activated? I just realised that it will be coming up to a year since I last popped it in to withdraw cash and have faint recollection of my HSBC Business ATM Card not being used for years and years and then getting declined at an ATM. I thought 'What the?' at the time and had to go into the branch and think I was told if you don't use it for a set time the deactivate it.

Currently overseas, and will be for some time so wondering if I need to make the long trip to a HSBC here to get some cash out to keep it operational. I would call them and ask but before I go through that, anyone any ideas?
    You can sort this over the phone by calling HSBC in HK. IIRC, there is also a form on the HSBC HK site that you can mail in to reactivate.

If your account has no activity for a year they will freeze it. You can avoid that by logging into your account and move some money to another account. No need to use your ATM card.