Like Tree126Likes

2021 Credit Cards

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    1,379
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocobber:
    I posted this on another thread but it's probably more relevant here.

    Does anyone know which Citi card has an "undocumented" perpetual annual fee waiver? I know some say first year annual fee is waived, but do they actually charge after one year or is it like other banks where you can just call in and they will waive the annual fee forever (or do you have to at least spend a certain amount before they will waive)?

    I'm used to another bank where there is a credit card annual fee but I just need to call in every year and input my credit card number and the automated system waives it.
    Pretty much all cards have a perpetual fee waiver apart from the most exclusive ones. You just ring up and ask.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    14,978
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocobber:
    I posted this on another thread but it's probably more relevant here.

    Does anyone know which Citi card has an "undocumented" perpetual annual fee waiver? I know some say first year annual fee is waived, but do they actually charge after one year or is it like other banks where you can just call in and they will waive the annual fee forever (or do you have to at least spend a certain amount before they will waive)?

    I'm used to another bank where there is a credit card annual fee but I just need to call in every year and input my credit card number and the automated system waives it.
    Apart from Citi Ultima and Citi Prestige all other Citi cards pretty much have perpetual fee waivers.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    Pretty much all cards have a perpetual fee waiver apart from the most exclusive ones. You just ring up and ask.
    Having just received this month's statement for my SC Asia Miles MC and seeing the $2,000 annual fee - I called the hotline per usual but was promptly told that the "waiver promotion" is not available this year. To get it refunded I must open an SC account and maintain a minimum balance.

    Since I could otherwise get it refunded if I no longer needed the card, I opted for that instead. No hesitation on bank's part; no attempt at persuading me to remain a customer.

    It's even more crazy during a Covid year, when overall spending is already less.
    Last edited by tparker; 12-01-2021 at 05:17 PM.
    shri, AsianXpat0, pin and 2 others like this.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,034
    Quote Originally Posted by tparker:
    Having just received this month's statement for my SC Asia Miles MC and seeing the $2,000 annual fee - I called the hotline per usual but was promptly told that the "waiver promotion" is not available this year. To get it refunded I must open an SC account and maintain a minimum balance.

    Since I could otherwise get it refunded if I no longer needed the card, I opted for that option instead. No hesitation on bank's part; no attempt at persuading me remain a customer.

    It's even more crazy during a Covid year, when overall spending is already less.
    Those SC pricks also hit me with a $2000 fee on Asia Miles MC last month. I have the account with minimum balance they told you to open, but they still insult their customers intelligence by agressively trying to slip the fees through anyway even to their priority customers. I had to call them and tell them to stop being arseholes and then agreed to refund and I did get it back in the end. But it's just a pain in the arse exercise I have to schedule in my diary to call them every year, and even when I preemptively call them in advance to get a waiver they still charge me anyway and I have to call them a second time to get it reversed. You made a good decision in cancelling the bloody thing.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    14,978

    So here is my proposed spend for 2021 (in effect very similar to 2020 but without Citi anymore).

    Only concerned about cashback these days and not miles.

    In HK / HKD
    - Online: HSBC Red (4%)
    - Paywave / Google Pay under HKD1k: CCB Eye (2% - note maximum of HKD60k a year spending, 300k points)
    - Supermarkets: HSBC Red (2%)
    - Restaurants (excludes hotel restaurants) - HSBC Visa Signature (3.6%)
    - Everything else / Alipay / AAVS - SCB Simply Cash (1.5%)

    Overseas / foreign
    - Online: HSBC Red (4%)
    - Everything else: SCB Simply Cash (2%)

    My need to re-evaluate HSBC Red if they change their terms to my detriment in June.

    AsianXpat0, shri, mucaari and 3 others like this.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,678

    For those with the Citi Prestige card, the best/only thing about this card is the 4th night free on hotel stays. I found out last month that this 4th night credit is now only available with prepaid rates when previously it was available for any rates. I was told they would be updating the T&Cs in March.


  7. #17

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    14,978
    Quote Originally Posted by si0001:
    For those with the Citi Prestige card, the best/only thing about this card is the 4th night free on hotel stays. I found out last month that this 4th night credit is now only available with prepaid rates when previously it was available for any rates. I was told they would be updating the T&Cs in March.
    Also you can't get suites anymore. There was a post somewhere about the change of terms earlier this year.

    I'm keeping mine this year, will test the concierge service (used it to hire a car last weekend) and see how it goes. I'm grandfathered to the old rate, so effectively the card is "free" once you get the bonus points and convert them into cash.

  8. #18

    Slightly off topic, but for those with Asia Miles due to expire, there is a reasonable range of wine available which can be purchased with miles. I'm guessing the airlines have a bit of stock to offload at the moment.


  9. #19

    Thanks to this thread for reminding me to check StanC SimplyCash statement generated last weekend. $2000 have been added as fees, called hotline and first IVR checked if I can have annual fee waiver - it was negative. On talking to an executive, I received reply as he can not access something in system and they will call me back in 1-2 working days. If I am to draw any hints from previous posts, I am 'not going to need' this card.

    I am still holding on my Citi cash back card which gives back 2% in dining, hotel and FX sending and 1% on all other spends. My main usages with StanC CC have been PayMe, Octopus AAVS, AliPay (for utilities bill payments and TaoBao), local stores and very less visits to supermarkets.

    May be, just may be, I will apply for HSBC Red CC given it has perpetual annual fee waiver.


  10. #20

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    1,598

    What other CCs have a high cash back for restaurants besides the HSBC Visa Signature?


Closed Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast