Like Tree38Likes

Cathay American Express - Terminating on May 2021

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

@Fatpigkenny - Merged with existing thread about the migration.

By the way, folks who are more into card "hacking" convinced me to apply for the new explorer card as the new card benefits are seemingly better than the migrated card benefits.

Also gives me some additional time to migrate several monthly bills we have going into the Cathay card.

Fatpigkenny and Mcdavid like this.

Who still uses American Express? Everyone switched to either Visa or Mastercard these days...

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Who still uses American Express? Everyone switched to either Visa or Mastercard these days...
    China Bear in Mui Wo take AMEX or cash only.

... so you never know!
    mucaari, Coolboy, Mcdavid and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    By the way, folks who are more into card "hacking" convinced me to apply for the new explorer card as the new card benefits are seemingly better than the migrated card benefits.
    Do you mean the welcome offers or ongoing benefits? Ongoing benefits appear the same.

If welcome offer... have said folks already tried applying and received said offers? Often welcome offers only apply to non-existing cardholders (or within 6 months) but indeed the T&C for this card only states "Existing American Express Explorer Credit Cardmembers". Sounds too good to be true?
    Coolboy likes this.

Everyone who knows that amex generally gives better rewards

shri, Mcdavid and dossier like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tparker:
    Do you mean the welcome offers or ongoing benefits? Ongoing benefits appear the same.

If welcome offer... have said folks already tried applying and received said offers? Often welcome offers only apply to non-existing cardholders (or within 6 months) but indeed the T&C for this card only states "Existing American Express Explorer Credit Cardmembers". Sounds too good to be true?
    Good point let me check with rhe person who recommended that we apply for a new one. Regardless... I guess we still get conversion / migration benefits.
    alexdown likes this.

Do I have to do anything to 'migrate'? Haven't seen anything from amex in the mail yet...

They call you up to sell insurance. Apparently annual fee is waived you spend 150, 000hkd a year

They just send me this card to replace my Cathay one this morning. Seems like the welcome offer only applies to new cardholders. bummer.... Should have canceled it and applied for the new card.

The welcome offer is worse than what the old cards use to have for local spend the first 3 months.