Like Tree7Likes

Obtaining Credit Score

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Obtaining Credit Score

I am a UK born, permanent HK resident in the process of obtaining a dependent visa for my wife. It is possible that immigration might require a credit check. I attempted an online credit check with Transunion, but they don't accept Amex as a credit card which meant that I couldn't proceed with the credit check application. I don't have HK Visa or Mastercard as I never really had a need, until now! Is there an alternative way to obtain a credit check? I have obtained loans from banks in the past, so it must be possible somehow. I welcome any suggestions.

Immigration will not perform or ask you to perform a credit check. The main thing they will check is whether your have somewhere to live and an income sufficient to support your dependents. They will also assess the validity of your marriage. How deep they dig depends on you and your wife's country of origin.

Epidavros likes this.

Thank you for your response.

I'm from the UK and my wife is from the Philippines. We are newly married in Hong Kong. I do anticipate a lengthy wait for my application result.

A personal portfolio was submitted with the relevant documents. When browsing this forum I noticed that some people were asked by immigration for a credit report. Since I have a reasonable income (60'000 HKD a month) but no real savings (100'000 HKD) I thought that immigration may dig a little deeper into my finances. Hence the pre-emptive credit check.

You'll be fine and no credit report required from ya.

UK passport & 60K salary per month = HK Welcomes your wife with open arms

aw451 and Epidavros like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    You'll be fine and no credit report required from ya.

UK passport & 60K salary per month = HK Welcomes your wife with open arms
    Thank you for your kind reply.

The people HK Immigration looks deeper into are mainly Brown folks with low salary, some try to apply dependent visas for their other half with 10 - 15K salary so the officer checks to see if they have any debts that are being repaid + rent etc etc all builds up and they wont be able to support so some visa applications can take months and some get rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    The people HK Immigration looks deeper into are mainly Brown folks with low salary, some try to apply dependent visas for their other half with 10 - 15K salary so the officer checks to see if they have any debts that are being repaid + rent etc etc all builds up and they wont be able to support so some visa applications can take months and some get rejected.
    I see. Thanks.

My potential fly in the ointment is that my wife used to be my domestic helper. I hired her and over the course of the pandemic, and me working from home we grew closer. Then we married. Just before quarantine hit, we were able to visit her family in the Philippines, so that was nice.

I terminated her contract before we married and now she has to head home to wait for the result. I didn't think that Immigration would look too kindly on her being both my wife AND DH. To be honest, we could have just not married and carried on as employer and helper, but I didn't want to renew her contract knowing we were partners rather than employer and helper.

Now the waiting game begins.

Quote Originally Posted by Epidavros:
    My potential fly in the ointment is that my wife used to be my domestic helper.
    Happens more often than you would expect. I've met a few people in this situation who had little trouble and now live together happily
    chuckster007 and Epidavros like this.

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    Happens more often than you would expect. I've met a few people in this situation who had little trouble and now live together happily
    That is a comfort to hear.

It will be a wrench to be apart for a few months. The time it will take for the application to finish plus quarantine for my wife will be long, I'm sure. But hopefully worth the wait.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Epidavros:
    Thank you for your response.

I'm from the UK and my wife is from the Philippines. We are newly married in Hong Kong. I do anticipate a lengthy wait for my application result.

A personal portfolio was submitted with the relevant documents. When browsing this forum I noticed that some people were asked by immigration for a credit report. Since I have a reasonable income (60'000 HKD a month) but no real savings (100'000 HKD) I thought that immigration may dig a little deeper into my finances. Hence the pre-emptive credit check.
    They will ask you for the story on how you met (I'm not kidding), for pictures in different settings etc... (you will get them back later). They did ask me if I could provide proof of additional income, my company was paying for a company to do it so I told them to tell them to politely fuck off, my salary was more than sufficient for both of us. And if they approve the visa she can work so that's a bit of a catch 22. Anyway stay firm but polite with them.

They asked for my father job, I put retired. They asked again, I said unlike HK people can retire after working enough years. Oh and they wanted to know the job of my deceased mother too, bunch of idiots.
    Epidavros likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast