Like Tree38Likes

How to get something refunded by the credit card company?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Beutiful Italy, where people don't know how to drive :)

Apparently the amount companies can charge as "admin fees" is a grey area. But can they make 1,000% profit on "admin fees"?

We are a long way to clearer and more transparent pricing:

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/pres.../en/IP_19_1790

Reading this thread isn't even worth $400...

TheBrit and mrgoodkat like this.

Once they charged me over HKD 5,000 because they claimed I had scratched a hubcap.

Generally these scammers are very wise to card cancelling scams and have a hold on the card which persists even if the card is replaced. Not much sympathy here really... agree they are making a big profit on these fees but there is definitely admin involved for them. See how many solicitors you can find who will send a letter for under HKD400...

As much as you might not like the charge it is not a 'scam'. If you don't like the charge find a company that doesn't have it in its conditions or don't speed!

I had one of these in France once. While I paid the admin fee I was annoyed that the police never followed it through and fined me! What a waste of an admin fee. I know the admin fee was valid as I remember the speed camera flashing in the tunnel?

Quote Originally Posted by Philips:
    Once they charged me over HKD 5,000 because they claimed I had scratched a hubcap.
    Yet yih continue to rent from them.. Life is too short to go back to a company that has screwed you over once.
    Elegiaque, mrgoodkat and Philips like this.

Are you goings to ask for a refund on the speeding fin when it arrives?

I’ve challenged 2 debits in the last 5 yrs both times it was a car hire company, both times they were taking the piss, and both times i won. (But the issuer will go over the agreements (evidence) closely and adjudicate pretty fairly)

Both times the bank wanted to charge an admin fee ($50) and both times i dug my heels in and won that too, however both cases were way stronger than yours.

Hertz are one of the better hire CO.s but they are all sharks.

And @shri, try never buying off a car company again every time they try to screw you, you’ll run out of options PDQ.

Philips likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    Generally these scammers are very wise to card cancelling scams and have a hold on the card which persists even if the card is replaced.
    That hold only lasts for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    Not much sympathy here really... agree they are making a big profit on these fees but there is definitely admin involved for them. See how many solicitors you can find who will send a letter for under HKD400...
    That solicitor is actually going to do something to earn his money. He doesn't just press on a button to print a piece of paper.
    Paxbritannia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Yet yih continue to rent from them.. Life is too short to go back to a company that has screwed you over once.
    I don't know why yih is such a fool. In my case, I had replaced the card and didn't pay a cent.

I was banned by these scammers, so will never rent from them again!!