Best credit for big retail purchases?

Closed Thread

Best credit for big retail purchases?

I’ve already got HSBC’s visa signature (chose the HOME category) and am thinking if the Citibank Prestige card is worth getting?

Just wondering what everyone else uses for big ticket purchases (50k+) for the max return? Retail mostly but if it’s online is the HSBC red card the one to go for?(even if I have the Visa Signature card?)

No idea if this in any way applicable to you, but when we had such large items we would open a US card without foreign transaction fees for the welcome bonus, right now the Chase Sapphire Preferred has a bonus worth 1500 USD. Only works if you or a significant other has a US SSN, tho.

If you collect Asia miles/Avios I'd go for both a SCB miles card and a Dah sing British Airways card

HSBC Red limits online at 4% rebate to HKD25k a month.

For simplest cashback SCB simple cashback is probably the best bet.

I think there is also primecredit earn more at roughly the same cashback rate.

Sign up for a new Amex Explorer (previously Cathay) and reap the sign-on bonus for purchases up to 100k HKD. I just did this for a large purchases of a new watch.

Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy:
    Sign up for a new Amex Explorer (previously Cathay) and reap the sign-on bonus for purchases up to 100k HKD. I just did this for a large purchases of a new watch.
    Not sure which shop you went to, but technically you could have offered cash and bargain it down further .. the acquisition cost Amex charges retailers are not insignificant especially for large sum ticket

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    Not sure which shop you went to, but technically you could have offered cash and bargain it down further .. the acquisition cost Amex charges retailers are not insignificant especially for large sum ticket
    I went to the brands own boutique, an item I waited for months for. No room for bargaining at all.