Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By dinosaurs88

Deposit a cheque into someone else's bank account

Closed Thread

Deposit a cheque into someone else's bank account

Hi,

As I'm leaving HK, I am planning to do an MPF withdraw.
    Unfortunately, my provider only offers the option of sending me a cheque, which I plan to have delivered to a friend of mine.
    Apologies in advance as I haven't seen or used a cheque in a long time hence a couple of silly questions:
    - Can my friend deposit the cheque into my account via ATM?
    -What information does he need to know? (I assume my bank account number?)

Just have them write your name (as per account) and account number on the back along with a phone number and they can drop it into the cheque deposit box inside a bank branch. I can't speak for all banks, but HSBC and BOCHK still have these.

Most banks have machines accepting cheques.. depositor just need to key in the a/c number of the recipient for the cheque (without using the ATM card, etc).

In SGP there are also boxes for cheque deposit.. so you just need to write name/ac number at the back of the cheque and drop them into the box.. not sure if HK has them...

Which bank are you at ? If you are using HSBC, then tell your friend to go to the ATM machines and look for one that says "Cheque Deposit" (the one on the left)

They would need your name and the bank account number to do the deposit Name:  HSBC_ATM_May-2012.jpg
Views: 1684
Size:  1.03 MB
    This type of machine is very simple and straight forward, they do only ONE thing, which is to receive cheques.

Other banks also have a similar machine that takes "cheque deposit". Try to avoid those other types of machines that are multi-purpose... their screens are too confusing.

Remind your friend to take a picture / copy of the cheque first.

Last edited by LifeInHK; 07-10-2021 at 03:27 PM. Reason: picture

Remind your friend to take a clear picture of the printed receipt. IT FADES after a few weeks.

tparker, rainylin and shri like this.