Like Tree42Likes

2022 - Credit Cards / Deals / Discounts / Cashbacks

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by vyral_143:
    I didn’t quite get you. If you already have HSBC Red, you don’t need to sign up for other CC to get started at first place. HSBC Red with KeychainPay is least hassle decent cashback; while other combos which I have suggested are more hassle more cashback. Depending on an individual’s ’hassle’ appetite, take a route; cheers !

I meant, is it possible to pay rent without using keychain. Therefore, saving on the 2.1% keychain fee. However,  I had a look last night and I think you have to use keychain to pay rent using a CC

Quote Originally Posted by Giraffy:
    I meant, is it possible to pay rent without using keychain. Therefore, saving on the 2.1% keychain fee. However,  I had a look last night and I think you have to use keychain to pay rent using a CC
    Yeah, one must use KeychainPay at the moment. If HSBC comes up with product like CitiPayAll with similar fees and rewards, I think one can get 3% flat cashback (4% HSBC Red CC cashback - 1% fees for service).
    Giraffy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zechi:
    Folks, what category are you all picking for the HSBC reward+ on your VS/Plat/Gold/etc.?

Was thinking oversea but since they removed the 2% on oversea spending promo, you can no longer stack the rewards to get 5.6%.
    I put 100% of mine on dining, and the wife puts 100% on supermarket spending... then we add each other's cards to our Apple devices.

But of course that only works when your wife doesn't help herself to lobster sashimi and wagyu beef every meal!!
    shri and Drunken Master like this.

I'm now more interested in the question :which payment type WHICH CANNOT BE EASILY TRACED has the best cashback/benefits? I find my options much more limited. For example, can they trace Alipay? Can they trace an Octopus which is not registered?

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    which payment type WHICH CANNOT BE EASILY TRACED has the best cashback/benefits? I find my options much more limited.
    Cash; what more benefits do you want other than not being able to traced

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    For example, can they trace Alipay? Can they trace an Octopus which is not registered?
    yes, AliPay can easily be traced when you link Creditcard to it. Unregistered Octopus would be non-traceable but I do not think any cashback/rebate !
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Convience always comes with a price. No such thing as a "free" service (ie. cc's, payme, octopus)

Quote Originally Posted by vyral_143:
    Unregistered Octopus would be non-traceable but I do not think any cashback/rebate !
    I'm a firm believer that if the government wants information about you they will get it anyways. Credit card and linked Octopus are the low hanging fruit... but cellphone towers can triangulate (which makes me chuckle at the various conspiracy theories for LeaveHomeSafe, which become a moot point anyways). Then there's the facial recognition. Sure, in theory there are privacy laws and in theory mobile providers won't hand over our data on a silver platter. But who are we kidding, in this day and age, and with Mainland values growing by the day. A plastic platter, maybe.

Up north, such is their advanced use of 'big data' these days, there are probably CCTV's which could capture your entry through subway turnstiles. All they need is two entries to correlate (throw in a third for good measure) and it would be pretty easy to figure out which "anonymous" subway card you are using and tag you permanently.

Stick to single use tickets if really paranoid... though that probably only raises the bar slightly.

overseas spending

Guys may I seek advice on the overseas spending category
    1. If my online purchase is not in HKD does it get categorised as A) online or B) overseas spending?
    If this answer is B) then,
    2. Is getting a CC with 0% handling fees for overseas spending worthwhile? (it seems that handling fees can be up to 3%?)
    Appreciate any advice!

CitiPayAll and cashback

Having a bit of a blond moment with my maths.

So If I opt to pay my rent with Citi PayAll with Citi Prestige it seems to work out at 2 points per HKD. So for example if my rent is HKD20k a month I will get 40k points. Citi will charge HKD200 per month (so 1%).

Based on Citibank's website the standard rate of conversion from points to cash rebate is 180 points per 1HKD. I think this works out at roughly 1%, so setting off the Citi service fee.

However if you convert above a certain amount (I think its something like HKD825k points) then the rate is 165 points per 1HK. Sorry for being a bit dumb, but what would that make the rebate amount?

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast