Like Tree5Likes

Berlin Co - Popular Foreign Exchange service shut down..

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Berlin Co - Popular Foreign Exchange service shut down..

This city is definitely changing, another landmark down, not sure Pandemic is the real reason or something else.. Berlin has sailed through all sorts of turmoil in the past..

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/secti...-squeezed-shut

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ndt:
    This city is definitely changing, another landmark down, not sure Pandemic is the real reason or something else.. Berlin has sailed through all sorts of turmoil in the past..

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/secti...-squeezed-shut
    Too bad ... that was a go to. Where else do people recommend now?

Quote Originally Posted by foxwendal:
    Obviously I haven't been anywhere for a couple of years, but even then, I'd stopped taking currency with me. You can easily travel in North/West Europe with only cards nowdays, and you can generally find an ATM anywhere else...

Chung king Mansion is another hub of money exchangers competing with each other, if you don't mind bit of touting on the gate and nice Curry/Samosa on return..

With no travel there's not much demand for FX...

Their rates are OK but not always the best. i've resorted to apps like wise/instarem/panda remit (panda is crap but have good rates sometimes. Chinese guy even called me up yesterday to beg me to transfer). I use IB that gives even better rates

Berlin target market is mainly HK local tourist unlike the others who also does commercial etc. I believe the slew of exchange apps also played into their demise. Old business model with old man counting bills at the back room is bound to die of natural selection with or without the pandemic
    ndt and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ndt:
    Chung king Mansion is another hub of money exchangers competing with each other, if you don't mind bit of touting on the gate and nice Curry/Samosa on return..
    Chung king Mansion is totally pointless. Whatever I save on rates I spend on Indian groceries or exotic fast food.

Quote Originally Posted by Paxbritannia:
    With no travel there's not much demand for FX...
    With the border closed many (all?) of the money changers do HK <-> CN transfers. Their transfer rates are quite high, but not much other ways. It's still highly restrictive with banks.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    Chung king Mansion is totally pointless. Whatever I save on rates I spend on Indian groceries or exotic fast food.

With the border closed many (all?) of the money changers do HK <-> CN transfers. Their transfer rates are quite high, but not much other ways. It's still highly restrictive with banks.
    I've always wondered how those businesses work in practice - hordes of minions taking suitcases across the border?

Hi all
    Berlin was always my go-to. Am travelling soon and wondered if there are any other recommendations in Central please? I’m not going to my home country where I would just do a transfer, I know I’ll need some cash at least from time to time and want to avoid doing multiple ATM withdrawals so just want to get a small amount of local currency. Any thoughts?Thanks!

What currency?!?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast