Like Tree8Likes

Getting paid by wechat while living in Europe

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Beutiful Italy, where people don't know how to drive :)

Getting paid by wechat while living in Europe

I did some job for a Chinese, who wants to pay me by wechat, because he says that the bank takes more than 1 month, and I believe wechat charges are lower.

I can see that there is "Credit Card Repayment" form in wechat, where one can put the details of the 1) payee bank, 2) card no, 3) name and 4) amount. Would the amount then be transferred to my credit card, for me to buy stuff? Does anybody have experience as to the charges in HK bank?

I have a credit card at BOCHK (with a HK address), and one in an Italian bank (with Italy address). Would both countries work, or does it only work in HK?

Also, I trust him, as we have been working together for some time, but I heard that there is also fraud, with people using the information provided to spend on someone else's credit card. Is this really a problem with wechat?

Is there an easier way to transfer through wechat? For example by simply giving him my HK phone number? Or is it better to give the bank account number? What is the best (fastest, cheapest, safest) option?

Thank you!

Last edited by Philips; 14-04-2022 at 04:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philips:
    Also, I trust him, as we have been working together for some time, but I heard that there is also fraud, with people using the information provided to spend on someone else's credit card. Is this really a problem with wechat?
    How did he pay you in the past?

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    How did he pay you in the past?
    First time he pays me.

Oh dear....
    It can depend on where / how did you register your wechat?
    If your wechat account was created with a HK phone number, then it can be "attached" or "registered" to a HK bank account. Some one can pay you into your "wechat wallet" and then you can transfer from your wechat wallet into your HK bank account

here in china NEVER use your international CC here!

i also transact through wechat pay directly since I can use it to pay bills in china.
    But Alipay is more robust, i guess, since you can transfer from Alipay to your local Bank & vice versa BUT with those two payment system Funds are limited inside the middle kingdom!

how about remittance?

aw451 likes this.

Thank you very much. At BOCHK they said I just need to register on wechat. Which I did. I hope it works.

Do you have an RMB WeChat pay account? If not yet, you need to receive any amount of HongBao to enable the feature but, from my experience it's still not possible to bind a Hong Kong UnionPay to an RMB WeChat Pay account.

Every year I receive a few red packets from mainland colleagues which end up expiring because I can't collect them... Also, the corporate compliance team would kill me but that's another topic

Getting paid by wechat in HK

This thing drives me nuts. I want to receive payment by someone living in China. I have a HK credit card, a BOCHK account, and a HK phone number. I tried to get money transferred by a Chinese person to my HK credit card or BOCHK account, and I get a message "you need to complete your identity information by adding a Mainland China Type-I bank card in order to continue using WeChat Pay".

So I asked BOCHK what this means, and they said this means I have to open a bank account in mainland China. Is that really so?? So everybody who is getting paid by wechat by someone in China had to open a bank account in China?? It seems weird to me.

Just tell them to wire the money to you (even though they said it takes a month), it has been almost a month since you first mentioned this.

as I said before Wechat Pay in china is Limited in china only & yes you need to open a bank account here.
    Passport + China Bank Acc + China Phone # = Wechat pay/ Alipay.
    Wechat pay HK does not equate to Wechat pay china

What i do for a friend is transfer to his HK bank via my HK bank while I receive the rmb here in china, charges may apply & exchange rate may vary.

Insomnia likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast