Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Fenix2
  • 1 Post By Starbuck

Octopus MasterCard, any good?

Octopus MasterCard, any good?

Hi All, I got an email inviting me to apply to link my Octopus Wallet with a MasterCard. The advertising blurb is a bit vague and I can't find anyone who has done it. Should I bother?
    It seems to be aimed at online home shoppers - but can it only be used for Hong Kong outlets?
    Anybody got one?
    Appreciate your thoughts....

Octopus are renoun for selling the data of customers who give them their name such as when you link it to a credit card.

Personally best policy is to not link it to your credit card and also change the card every few months... tp maintain anonymity. Having a Octopus card can get you locked up on "probably cause"... before the national security law. Having your name tied to card increases that exponentially.

If you don't mind being identified, it is worth noting master card process is getting faster and faster, the speed advantage of the Octopus card is being eroded....

aublumberg likes this.

Don't they have all that on you already Fenix, if you are getting the cash vouchers lodged onto the Octopus?

Meanwhile, I did come across some advertising saying you can 'shop globally' with the Octopus Mastercard.
    That does seem strange given that the cash voucher scheme was aimed at promoting local businesses and there were rules against using it elsewhere. This card offer seems to directly breach that.

The Octopus Mastercard has been around for a few years. It's just a reloadable prepaid Mastercard that can be funded from your Octopus Wallet. Visa/Mastercard debit cards were quite rare in HK until recently, so I'd imagine it was originally aimed at people in HK who were unable to obtain traditional credit cards but who still wanted to buy stuff that could only be paid for with a credit card (like a lot of things online).

I believe that, aside from being against the terms of the Consumption Voucher Scheme, there are some actual barriers to transferring your Consumption Voucher Scheme money to your Octopus Wallet and then on to this Octopus Mastercard.

Thanks for that info Anahan. I don't think I'll bother.

aw451 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck:
    Don't they have all that on you already Fenix, if you are getting the cash vouchers lodged onto the Octopus?
    t.
    No, I used tap and go.... Octopus is a burner card, and you should use it as such and swap it every few months. Linking to your name or credit card, is giving up one of your opportunities to keep your privacy, why would do that?