Like Tree11Likes

HSBC - ATM Network, Front and Backends Down

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HSBC - ATM Network, Front and Backends Down

So.. Systems are down, and in line with Murphys law dropped the CC.

Wonderful HSBC customer service call...

'Sorry call back in 30 mins'

'But what happens if some uses the card?!?'

'Sorry we can only answer general enquiries..'

Jockey club transactions also affected.

In addition, as today is the race day, the Jockey Club online transfer service also failed to deposit funds due to a malfunction of HSBC Internet Banking.

The reporter went to one of the Jockey Clubs to inquire, and some staff admitted that due to problems with Hang Seng and HSBC, the transfer betting service was affected.
    https://www.hk01.com/sns/article/777904

Both ATM and internet banking? Wow. How would in-branch services even be able to function in that case…

I called PPS out of curiosity - it says our systems are busy now pls call back later. Doesn’t that mean the basically whole system is down

EPS cashback also stopped working at 7/11 and Circle K for all banks leading to a minor inconvenience while searching for a Jetco ATM

Databases fucked while migrating databases

Poor fuckers calling staff to assist, all hands on deck

shri, LifeInHK, blueagles and 1 others like this.

I am going to email HKMA after checking if credit card type issues fall under their regulatory remit.if I recall they do..

What happens if you lose your credit card and the bank is unable to accept and log your request to report the card?

Did manage to get through around 1PM and gotta say that their Filipino agents are top notch.. Did take all the info, cancelled the card and ended with 'we hope the rest of the day is better..'

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I am going to email HKMA after checking if credit card type issues fall under their regulatory remit.if I recall they do..

What happens if you lose your credit card and the bank is unable to accept and log your request to report the card?

Did manage to get through around 1PM and gotta say that their Filipino agents are top notch.. Did take all the info, cancelled the card and ended with 'we hope the rest of the day is better..'
    the right thing is to report loss, then use the card yourself for a few expensive watches, then let them handle the back end problem... its their issue then right ? haa.. But I think VISA runs separate network and HSBC has already sold their VISA acquiring business out.. so probably this sneak cheat doesn't work.
    Corrib likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    the right thing is to report loss, then use the card yourself for a few expensive watches, then let them handle the back end problem... its their issue then right ? haa.. But I think VISA runs separate network and HSBC has already sold their VISA acquiring business out.. so probably this sneak cheat doesn't work.
    Well, this one was a genuine loss and concern.

Unless you have an ultra fast cloning gang you can sell the card to, about the only places you might get away would be either criminal owned or small tiny outlets that don't have surveillance.

Any idea if HSBC is back online ?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast