Like Tree3Likes

Retrieving an HSBC statement older than 7 years

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by ndt:
    I am assuming you transferred the amount from HSBC HK to NRE/NRO account back home, if you did wire transfer, bank back home should also have record?
    Worse! Those were days when all kinds of silly things were done. It was wired to a resident account of the same name despite being NRIs since the 90s. Bank back home has a record that the money was received and that it was a wire from abroad. However, the record doesn't show where it was received from and who it was received from (this piece of information is critical to show the full picture).
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shree711:
    Worse! Those were days when all kinds of silly things were done. It was wired to a resident account of the same name despite being NRIs since the 90s. Bank back home has a record that the money was received and that it was a wire from abroad. However, the record doesn't show where it was received from and who it was received from (this piece of information is critical to show the full picture).
    Got it, this is clearly out of mess of funny old days of receiving banks back home, Not a fault of HSBC beyond 7 yrs..

By Any chance
    1) you have physical TT document (Assuming online TT was not every common those days)
    2) TT processed receipt from HSBC by mail

Isn't it strange that they maintain no records of it given that if regulators ask them for information, they surely cannot refuse.
    Not strange at all, I'm afraid. It costs the banks money to keep records so it is understandable that they don't want to keep them for any longer than necessary. In practice they tend to get rid of them when permitted under various regulations (including tax and AML requirements).

What is inconsistent is that the same AML regulations which may permit a bank to delete records older than (for some purposes) 7 years may also require clients to produce records proving source of wealth which are older than 7 years. As a retiree I've encountered this problem twice – having to produce evidence of my employment income of many years ago to the same bank into which that employment income was deposited!

Got it, this is clearly out of mess of funny old days of receiving banks back home, Not a fault of HSBC beyond 7 yrs..

By Any chance
    1) you have physical TT document (Assuming online TT was not every common those days)
    2) TT processed receipt from HSBC by mail
    I have done a lot of searching locally in India. Nothing at all has come from HSBC, which I find rather surprising.

It was very difficult. I didn't even know the account number for this bank as that particular account had been closed years ago. Finding that was super tough. I finally found it in
    a cheque for a property transaction that we had in file from 2008. So with that account number, I requested them to look up the entire history of the account which they eventually found. I found the transaction I was looking for but I needed to establish more facts about the transaction. I have subsequently found this "remittance transaction advice" which shows the amount in USD that was received by the bank. It shows that I received the money and how much was deducted in fees and commission but it doesn't show the name of the remitter (who is me but we need to prove that).

Hence, it would seal it, if I could find the HSBC statement from where the money was sent.

I have done a lot of searching locally in India. Nothing at all has come from HSBC, which I find rather surprising.

It was very difficult. I didn't even know the account number for this bank as that particular account had been closed years ago. Finding that was super tough. I finally found it in
    a cheque for a property transaction that we had in file from 2008. So with that account number, I requested them to look up the entire history of the account which they eventually found. I found the transaction I was looking for but I needed to establish more facts about the transaction. I have subsequently found this "remittance transaction advice" which shows the amount in USD that was received by the bank. It shows that I received the money and how much was deducted in fees and commission but it doesn't show the name of the remitter (who is me but we need to prove that).

Hence, it would seal it, if I could find the HSBC statement from where the money was sent.

No not in India, I mean carbon copy of TT form from HSBC and physical receipt and/or email from HSBC received in Hong kong showing TT was successful/completed or something..

On a side note, i assume you are aware of LRS and other ways of repatriation if in worst case this thing doesnt work out..

On a side note, i assume you are aware of LRS and other ways of repatriation if in worst case this thing doesnt work out..
    Well the limits are $1m a year from NRO accounts. I wish I could say that was enough of a limit.

No not in India, I mean carbon copy of TT form from HSBC and physical receipt and/or email from HSBC received in Hong kong showing TT was successful/completed or something..
    If I had that, I don't think I would have started this thread. Unfortunately that's the piece of the puzzle that is missing.

Cough cough photoshop cough cough
    rkenia852 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tropic:
    Cough cough photoshop cough cough
    It may not even be a bad shout but if someone actually decides they want to confirm with the bank...