Like Tree3Likes

Retrieving an HSBC statement older than 7 years

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Retrieving an HSBC statement older than 7 years

I urgently needed to retrieve a statement from HSBC to prove a transaction that happened in May 2007. However, upon requesting HSBC, they said that they can only find transactions up to 7 years old and not beyond that. I even told the bank that I'm willing to bear the fees that they may want to do this.

Isn't it strange that they maintain no records of it given that if regulators ask them for information, they surely cannot refuse.

So now, is there no way at all to get HSBC to find such a record?

Quote Originally Posted by shree711:
    I urgently needed to retrieve a statement from HSBC to prove a transaction that happened in May 2007. However, upon requesting HSBC, they said that they can only find transactions up to 7 years old and not beyond that. I even told the bank that I'm willing to bear the fees that they may want to do this.

Isn't it strange that they maintain no records of it given that if regulators ask them for information, they surely cannot refuse.

I don't think regulators do require institutions to hold records beyond 7 years. Why do you require proof of such an old transaction?

Data retention requirements are generally in the 7-10 year range for most jurisdictions... The backup tapes have probably been thrown out I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    I don't think regulators do require institutions to hold records beyond 7 years. Why do you require proof of such an old transaction?
    I require proof of the transaction to prove the origin of money for an investment made back in 2007 to determine repatriability.

Personal or corporate?

Corporate - small chance it is in an audit file/folder given to the auditors? (But even those are only required to be kept for 7 years...)

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Personal or corporate?

Corporate - small chance it is in an audit file/folder given to the auditors? (But even those are only required to be kept for 7 years...)
    Personal. This is actually super urgent and would be a big find for us if we can get our hands on it. No joking matter.

ive had similar issues.

I left HK before and when I came back, my account was "closed". I wanted to find out why it was closed and what happened to the money in the account.

Apparently, they deducted money every month (fees) until it hit 0, then closed my account. And because it was closed for x years, they could not retrieve any records.

Quote Originally Posted by D.YU:
    ive had similar issues.

I left HK before and when I came back, my account was "closed". I wanted to find out why it was closed and what happened to the money in the account.

Apparently, they deducted money every month (fees) until it hit 0, then closed my account. And because it was closed for x years, they could not retrieve any records.
    The account in question is open and still in use, that's especially why it's really annoying that they say they can't find transactions older than November 2015!

Personal. This is actually super urgent and would be a big find for us if we can get our hands on it. No joking matter.
    I am assuming you transferred the amount from HSBC HK to NRE/NRO account back home, if you did wire transfer, bank back home should also have record?

Also bank usually send physical mail for any wire transfer done overseas, by any chance you have that in your old file somewhere?

I believe HKMA regulation states that they only need to keep record for 7 years.
    But that said, I don't believe banks will actually remove records even after crossing that 7y mark.. So maybe you need some help somewhere... find some senior managers or whoever else that you can link to..

Mrs. Jones likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast