Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By aw451
  • 1 Post By pin
  • 2 Post By bdw
  • 1 Post By pin
  • 1 Post By ndt
  • 2 Post By bobly

Best overall credit card (if I don't want to have 5+ of them)

Best overall credit card (if I don't want to have 5+ of them)

I've read all the credit card threads and done research but I'm still not sure what card to get as a "general" card.

I don't really want to play the credit card "game" and have several different cards for different types of spending. I only really want to have one (max two) that can at give decent rewards/cashback for whatever spending. I'll mainly use it to pay for my gym membership, phone plan, grocery shopping, online shopping (iherb, hktvmall), and dining out/takeaway.

My husband has the SCB Cathay card for miles which we use for some other purchases and his expenses.

I was thinking maybe HSBC Red or SC Simply Cash. Any suggestions?

But does anyone know about HSBC Red (and other cards too possibly) not being able to earn rewards when using it through an e-wallet (ie Apple Pay, Google Pay). Because I say a T&C that you won't earn rewards if you use it with an e-wallet and I'm always using Apple Pay so that's a big turnoff.

Thanks!

I think @pin has posted reviews on both ... no clue about the phone wallet restrictions.

Apple Pay and Google Pay aren't ewallets.

Ewallets are things like PayMe, Alipay, Octopus and WeChat pay i.e apps which allow you to store cash in them. They are typically excluded from rewards because you can send P2P transfers of arbitrary amounts.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    Apple Pay and Google Pay aren't ewallets.

Ewallets are things like PayMe, Alipay, Octopus and WeChat pay i.e apps which allow you to store cash in them. They are typically excluded from rewards because you can send P2P transfers of arbitrary amounts.
    That's what i thought, but I called HSBC and they told me that it includes Apple Pay, Google Pay etc. Which makes no sense to me to though unless the person I spoke to doesn't know what they're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by lxnd2:
    That's what i thought, but I called HSBC and they told me that it includes Apple Pay, Google Pay etc. Which makes no sense to me to though unless the person I spoke to doesn't know what they're talking about.
    As is the case in HK, the person you spoke to probably didn't understand what you were saying. @aw451 is right.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lxnd2:
    The person you spoke to doesnt know what they are talking about, or you misunderstood. Paying by apple pay, google pay will definitely earn the points. What doesnt earn points is for example if you have Payme, and you top up your payme account using your credit card.

SC Simply cash is good if you just want one card that gives 1.5% cashback in all HKD spending and 2% on other currencies without having to think about it. Citibank Cashback is also similar, gives a bit more for local dining (2%) but then a bit less for other things (1%).

SC smart card is also interesting because it has no overseas transaction fees, this saves you about 2%.

But really you said you spend on gym, phone, groceries, online shopping, and dining. So then if you want to maximise your return you have no choice but to get 4 or 5 different credit cards
    ndt and muzzdang like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    SC Simply cash is good if you just want one card that gives 1.5% cashback in all HKD spending and 2% on other currencies without having to think about it.

SC smart card is also interesting because it has no overseas transaction fees, this saves you about 2%.
    Does that mean SC Smart card turns out 2% cheaper (save) compared to SC Simply cash for overseas spending after factoring in cashback/rebate etc!!

Quote Originally Posted by ndt:
    Does that mean SC Smart card turns out 2% cheaper (save) compared to SC Simply cash for overseas spending after factoring in cashback/rebate etc!!
    Read my post on the spreads I found.
    ndt likes this.

I was under the impression you did extensive comparison of HSBC World Debit vs SC Smart card but that was elsewhere, forgot you tried SC simply cash also overseas.. Bottomline, SC simply cash seems hit and miss in terms of spread keeping cash withdrawal and other benefits of Smart card aside..

https://geoexpat.com/forum/24/thread363961.html

pin likes this.

HK is so annoying for this, because the discounts do add up....

HKTVmall: 5% with HSBC

supermarket promotions: 50HKD on spend over 450 - HSBC

just a couple examples. I use 1 card for most purchases and then other cards for these special promos... thank goodness for Googlepay otherwise I'd be carrying around 5 cards all the time. at least i stopped using my airmiles card.

if you had to choose 1:
    HSBC red
    Citi Cashback
    SC Simply Cash

IMHO

pin and lxnd2 like this.